Re: Col Davis near Sharpsburg

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2008
      Steve:

      I don't have a copy of Murfin to-hand, so I can't swear as to his source, but it sounds to me as if he's referencing a particular passage from Carman's manuscript. Here's how it appears in my edition:

      "The escaping Union cavalry narrowly missed another encounter�with a regiment of Confederate cavalry and a light battery of six guns. When Hampton�s Brigade marched from Burkittsville on the morning of September 14, part of it went along the east base of South Mountain to Knoxville, on the Potomac, and picketed the roads leading to Berlin and Frederick. Two regiments crossed Brownsville Gap into Pleasant Valley. One of these, the Jeff Davis Legion, with Hart�s Battery of six guns, was placed at Solomon�s Gap in Elk Ridge. Colonel Martin, commanding the regiment, threw out pickets in the direction of the Potomac; some of these were encountered and brushed away by the Union cavalry about 10:00 p.m., as it neared the bridge spanning the Antietam near its mouth. This information was quickly carried to Martin, who was surprised at news of an enemy in that direction, and, after a hasty conference with some of his officers, the conclusion was
      reached that McClellan�s left wing had interposed between Jackson�s forces besieging Harper�s Ferry and the Confederates at Turner�s Gap, Boonsboro, and Hagerstown."

      --jake

      Hello, Forum.

      > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
      escapees, the 12th Illinois,
      > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
      the Sharpsburg village
      > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
      William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
      > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
      time, as well.

      > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
      evidence to support CS infantry,
      > cavalry or artillery from the day's mountain gap battles being near
      the edge of Sharpsburg at
      > 10:00 p.m. on 9/14.
      >
      > Could someone please shed some light on this matter?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Steve

    • cowie_steve
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
        Jake,

        This is fantastic stuff--thank you. I was not aware that the Jeff Davis Legion and Hart's
        battery detached en route from the Brownsville Pass to Knoxville. I had assumed that
        Stuart kept Hampton's force intact near Knoxville to better resist the anticipated approach
        of Franklin's Sixth Corps along the Potomac. Thanks to you and others in the forum, I'm
        beginning to get a clearer picture of the confusing Confederate movements that took
        place on the night of the 14th.

        Steve