Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 90th PA Monument

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
      Tom;

      Re monuments once on the field but now gone. You should pick up a
      copy of the booklet put out originally by OT Reilly. Some of the
      statues in that book are now no longer there as well,
      particularly along the Sunken Road.

      Maybe the monument had weathered away or was vandalized? Or was
      removed when road work was done and never put back?

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
        The fall 1995 Blue & Gray Magazine has a picture of this
        monument, page 64, and some accompanying text: "The fragile memorial did not
        last, but it is uncertain as to when it was damaged, vandalized or simply
        fell apart. Parts of the monument are stored in the park's curatorial collection"

        There is also a picture of it in John W. Schildt's "Drums along the Antietam",
        p100. Some of the content of this book might be questionable, but
        it does have some neato rare pictures, such as the Dunker Church region
        before the bypass and visitor's center were built, and a very early
        picture of the national cemetery and several farm houses that are
        kind of off the regular trail (eg, the H Rohrback farmhouse).

        TRL

        rotbaron@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 12/20/2001 0:49:54 AM EST, Pa128th@... writes:
        > << I also will post shortly information on the 90th Pa Antietam Monument
        > Fund. This fund will raise $35,000.00 (10,000.00) of which has already been
        > raised) to replace the orginal monument that was placed on the battlefield
        > by men of the regiment. Gary Casteel is the artist. >>
        >
        > In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard mentions the 90th PA Monument.
        > What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states it's been missing from the
        > battlefield since 1940.
        >
        > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      • J Amico
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2001
          --- TR Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:
          > The fall 1995 Blue & Gray Magazine has a picture of
          > this
          > monument, page 64, and some accompanying text: "The
          > fragile memorial did not
          > last, but it is uncertain as to when it was damaged,
          > vandalized or simply
          > fell apart. Parts of the monument are stored in the
          > park's curatorial collection"
          >
          > There is also a picture of it in John W. Schildt's
          > "Drums along the Antietam",
          > p100. Some of the content of this book might be
          > questionable, but
          > it does have some neato rare pictures, such as the
          > Dunker Church region
          > before the bypass and visitor's center were built,
          > and a very early
          > picture of the national cemetery and several farm
          > houses that are
          > kind of off the regular trail (eg, the H Rohrback
          > farmhouse).
          >
          > TRL
          >
          > rotbaron@... wrote:
          >
          > > In a message dated 12/20/2001 0:49:54 AM EST,
          > Pa128th@... writes:
          > > << I also will post shortly information on the
          > 90th Pa Antietam Monument
          > > Fund. This fund will raise $35,000.00
          > (10,000.00) of which has already been
          > > raised) to replace the orginal monument that was
          > placed on the battlefield
          > > by men of the regiment. Gary Casteel is the
          > artist. >>
          > >
          > > In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard
          > mentions the 90th PA Monument.
          > > What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states
          > it's been missing from the
          > > battlefield since 1940.
          > >
          > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

          As an aside ..Im writng a booklet on the destruction
          of Iverson s Brigade at Gburg. Of course the 90th PA
          was part of the crew that was responsible for this..Im
          wondering if any of you have info. about the 90th PA
          at Gburg that may be of help. Thanks.Happy holidays
          -Jason Amico
          PA Historical and Museum Commission
          Harrisburg,PA

          http://greetings.yahoo.com