Muster dates

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
      The Seventeenth Michigan Infantry (Christ's Brigade, Willcox's Division, Ninth Army Corps) was mustered in on 27 August 1862. The regiment came under fire for the first time at Fox's Gap.

      Bill Christen

    • dean_essig
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
        Bill,

        Thanks for bringing that up. I missed it in my list, but not because it wasn't marked as
        Green, but because of the note that was embedded with.

        The note says "Green, but properly drilled, doesn't count as green". For the life of me, I
        don't recall where that information came from, but I believe it has something to do with
        the officers in charge?

        Perhaps somebody can shed some light on that one.

        Dean

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Bill and Glenna Jo Christen" <gwjchris@...>

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
          Dean,

          IIRC, and Bill can confirm, but the 17th Michigan was green in
          the sense of never being in battle before. But they are drilled
          fairly well for a rookie unit going into combat, as opposed to
          many of the nine month units actually taking the field at
          Antietam. The 13th NJ for example had not had chance to learn how
          to load and fire until they actually did so under fire during the
          battle. Ezra Carman, who was their colonel and wounded during the
          action, is the same Ezra Carman who spent many years after the
          War as the unofficial official historian of the battle and wrote
          the famous manuscript Jake Pierro and Tom Clemens have,
          independently, been working on.

          wrote:

          > The Seventeenth Michigan Infantry (Christ's Brigade, Willcox's
          > Division, Ninth Army
          Corps) was mustered in on 27 August 1862. The regiment came under
          fire for the first
          time at Fox's Gap.

          > Bill Christen

        • dean_essig
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
            Thanks Gerry! That jives with my notes, I'm still curious how they managed to become
            respectfully drilled in so short of a period of time. Other regiments (with a few more days
            or a week or so) of extra time to prepare were woefully unprepared for battle (like the 13
            NJ).

            I must have run into a reference along the way that suggested they had a fine commander
            or other experienced officers and NCOs that were in a position to get them ready.

            I think I'll have to dig up their regimental history and see if I can figure out why.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
              Dear Dean,

              Bill Christen, who is much more knowledgeable about the
              Seventeenth Michigan than myself, might be able to answer these
              new questions than I.

              However, IIRC (and this is totally off the top of my head), the
              17th Michigan actually had been mustered in longer but had not
              yet been accepted, again IIRC, into Federal service. That lag
              afforded the officers of the regiment to spend the needed time in
              properly drilling the unit before their being called into active
              service.

              Again, Bill Christen will be the proper person to answer this
              question about the unit being able to take the field in a great
              manner and go into combat on September 14th at Fox's Gap. BTW,
              there is a market to the unit not far from the site of the Wise
              Cabin on South Mountain near Fox's Gap.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
                17th Michigan... found it!

                Gallgher _The Antietam Campaign_ pg 156

                "The 17th commenced forming in late May 1862 and spent the summer drilling under Col.
                James E. Pittman, the state paymaster. Although not mustered into Federal service until
                August 21, the Michiganders should not be considered true rookies. Pittman's drill and
                discipline left the regiment in a "very credible condition." well prepared for the action on
                September 14 that highlighted the difference training made in combat effectiveness."

                The chapter "Volunteers of '62" was where I got a number of the regiments included in my
                list of "green" regiments. I'll go through it again and see if any of the mistaken ones are
                mentioned.
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
                  Dear Dean,

                  I have that volume also. You might wish to check out the
                  excellent essay on the Sunken Road fighting as many of the green
                  units in the Second Corps wound up involved in that nasty piece
                  of work....

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Yes, and the section on logistics was very helpful as well!

                    > Dear Dean,
                    >
                    > I have that volume also. You might wish to check out the
                    > excellent essay on the Sunken Road fighting as many of the green
                    > units in the Second Corps wound up involved in that nasty piece
                    > of work....
                  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
                      Posted by: "dean_essig" dean_essig@... dean_essig

                      Gallagher cites Ida V. Brown Michigan in the Civil War as the source for the drilling
                      information.

                      I take it you are arguing that they should fall into my "green" category (along with the
                      other limited service time regiments)? I rather wish they had more service at Antietam to
                      add to their good performance at South Mountain to make the evaluation clearer.
                      Dean,

                      Brown's Michigan Men in the Civil War was first published in 1959 as a bulletin of the University of Michigan's Historical Collections. Miss Brown was the archivist. It was updated again in 1977. It is a descriptive index to over 500 collections of letters, diaries or other material related to Michigan during the Civil War, which can be found at UM's Bentley Library in Ann Arbor. There are over thirty collections that pertain to the Seventeenth Michigan. I have read them all and would have to dig through my files to find out the exact quote, but I do not recall one off hand. I am, as it happens, preparing a talk for later this summer on the first six months in the life of the regiment and the fighting at South Mountain.

                      There is a passage in Michigan in the War compiled by Michigan Adjutant General. John Robertson in 1882:
                      "The organization of the regiment commenced under the direction of Colonel James E. Pitman, then State Paymaster, whose excellent drill and discipline enabled the regiment to leave for the front in a very creditable condition" [1]

                      [1] John Robertson, comp., Michigan in the War (Lansing: State of Michigan, 1882), 374.
                      By the end of July 1862, only 500 recruits for the regiment had arrived at the Detroit Barracks. Colonel Withington did not take command until 11 August. Uniforms and equipment were not issued until four days before the regiment left Detroit on 27 August 1862. There is no record that any target practice occurred before the regiment left for Washington, D.C. or during the week the regiment was at Fort Baker before being ordered to join the Ninth Army Corps. They were cutting wood.

                      I would agree that the regiment was schooled in military drill, but it had little experience with their weapons (mostly Lorenz rifle-muskets).

                      The score card:
                      South Mountain: 27 killed, 114 wounded (Company A was detached and remained in Frederick--returned to the regiment by 16 September). The regiment was steady under fire, made a charge in the afternoon, helping to rout Drayton South Carolina Brigade.
                      Antietam: 18 killed, 87 wounded . The regiment was steady under fire at the Sherrick farm and then participated in a charge towards Sharpsburg near the Rohrbach Mill (below and south of the National Cemetery today) late in the afternoon. There is an unconfirmed story that a Confederate regiment was waving what appeared to be the US National Colors and the Seventeenth's movements was not a charge but a plain advance.

                      I estimate the strength of the unit was around 750 on 14 September (Company A detached, sick left behind and a few stragglers and deserters). The leadership (field & staff and company officers) was a factor in overcoming the lack of experience. Ironically, at Spotsylvania (May 1864), this same battle-tested regiment (of no more than 250 men at the time), would suffer a severe loss and have its colors captured along with nearly half of it soldiers. Here too, the leadership would play a roll (Withington had resigned in March 1863 and the colonel in May 1864, Constance Luce did not have the same leadership rating or approval of the men. The lieutenant colonel, Frederick Swift (a captain at South Mountain and Antietam), under Luce was later awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Campbell's Station, Tennessee. But of course this was beyond the timeframe of your game.

                      Bill

                    • dean_essig
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
                        Bill,

                        That settles it with some authority, especially the material about the lack of training their
                        arms before the battle. Good unit, not yet trained.

                        FWIW, the park's files give the regiment 525 men at Antietam, the marker at South
                        Mountain says they had 500 there (before the losses).