Chew's Battery in Maryland 1862

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
      For starters, here's a fun view of Chew's Battery on/through the 14th:

      http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=2055

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      <snip>

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008

        You are certainly correct: Lt. Col. Hasbrouck Davis was the commander
        of the 12th Ill. Cavalry during the breakout. Col. Benjamin F.
        (Grimes) Davis was in command of the 8th NY Cavalry and Col. Arno
        Voss of the 12th Ill. was in overall command as senior colonel
        although he apparently rode with the 12th for a while. Looks like he
        and Grimes cooperated reluctantly?

        Larry F.

        > Wasn't the 12th IL commanded by Hasbrouck Davis? Benjamin Davis
        commanded the 8th NY.

        > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        > Hello, Forum.
        >
        > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
        escapees, the 12th Illinois,
        > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
        the Sharpsburg village
        > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
        William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
        > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
        time, as well.

        > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
        evidence to support CS infantry,

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
          Brian,

          Don said he was going to do an article for AotW about the breakout--
          have you heard from him lately?

          Larry F.

          wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > I think Larry noted earlier that Don Caughey has posted exahastively
          > on the Breakout, participants and route - on his blog -- if you
          > haven't already seen that. I've linked to all 5 parts of his
          series,
          > added some photos from Tischler, and drafted a rough map of the
          route
          > on my own (http://behind.aotw.org/2007/09/23/exodus-from-harpers-
          ferry/).

          > I've tried to mark (general) locations of both Federal and
          Confederate
          > troops on that map, as describned in Harsh's book, but not which
          units
          > they were. Another link from the blog will get you to a modern
          Google
          > map if you want to retrace the route by car.
          >
          > I'll try to dig into Chew's Battery's whereabouts a little later.
          All
          > I know just now is they were at Shepherdstown as late as 3pm on 17
          > September - something about repairing/refitting guns there. They may
          > have missed the whole thing ...

        • Brian Downey
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
            Hi Larry,

            Yes and he's working on it. No big rush on my part - I'll be glad to
            get it when ready.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
              Excellent--I hope I get to read it within a month or two to help me
              with that chapter in my paper. BTW, Tischler has photos of both Palmer
              and Wilson.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 31, 2008
                Larry,
                I don't claim expertise in this topic, but I think even at the time there was some friction, and certainly afterward when the assumption was the B. Davis was in charge.

                >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 01/31/08 4:59 PM >>>
                Tom,

                You are certainly correct: Lt. Col. Hasbrouck Davis was the commander
                of the 12th Ill. Cavalry during the breakout. Col. Benjamin F.
                (Grimes) Davis was in command of the 8th NY Cavalry and Col. Arno
                Voss of the 12th Ill. was in overall command as senior colonel
                although he apparently rode with the 12th for a while. Looks like he
                and Grimes cooperated reluctantly?

                Larry F.

                > Wasn't the 12th IL commanded by Hasbrouck Davis? Benjamin Davis
                commanded the 8th NY.

                > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                > Hello, Forum.
                >
                > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
                escapees, the 12th Illinois,
                > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
                the Sharpsburg village
                > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
                William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
                > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
                time, as well.

                > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
                evidence to support CS infantry,
                > cavalry or artillery from the day's mountain gap battles being near
                the edge of Sharpsburg at
                > 10:00 p.m. on 9/14.
                >
                > Could someone please shed some light on this matter?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Steve

              • cowie_steve
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Brian,

                  Thank you for referring me to Don Caughey's blog on the breakout. It's very well done,
                  indeed, and the map is especially helpful.

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Steve,

                    According to Carman there were pickets from Hampton's Brigade,
                    Martin's regiment, the Jeff Davis Legion. Check out Carman (Pierro)
                    pp. 124-5. Here is a brief summary:

                    The Union column missed a more dangerous encounter with Rebel cavalry
                    that morning. When Hampton's Brigade rode from Burkittsville near
                    Crampton's Gap on the morning of 14 September, some of it went along
                    the east foot of South Mountain to picket roads leading from
                    Frederick and Berlin, while two regiments crossed into Pleasant
                    Valley to the western side of South Mountain. One of these was the
                    Jeff Davis Legion with six guns of Hart's Battery which took up a
                    position at Solomon's Gap in Elk Ridge to the north of Harpers Ferry.
                    Some of its pickets were those encountered by the Union column at the
                    mouth of Antietam Creek near the Potomac about 10 pm that night. Col.
                    Martin commanding the regiment decided to retreat to Hagerstown
                    believing the McClellan's troops were between Harpers Ferry and
                    points north and west. As he retreated, his scouts reported the Union
                    column on a roughly parallel track but closer to the Potomac.
                    Learning of the identity of the column he began pursuit seeing the
                    smoke from the burning wagons in the Unionist's wake. Finding that he
                    could not catch them, he turned and crossed into Williamsport. This
                    was fortunate for Martin as his 300 troopers would not have been much
                    of a match for the Union column.

                    Larry

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "cowie_steve" <cowie_steve@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hello, Forum.
                    >
                    > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
                    escapees, the 12th Illinois,
                    > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
                    the Sharpsburg village
                    > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
                    William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
                    > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
                    time, as well.

                    > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
                    evidence to support CS infantry,
                    > cavalry or artillery from the day's mountain gap battles being near
                    the edge of Sharpsburg at
                    > 10:00 p.m. on 9/14.
                    >
                    > Could someone please shed some light on this matter?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Steve

                  • cowie_steve
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Larry,

                      Thanks so much for clarifying.

                      To refresh, Murfin's GOB, page 153, placed the 10:00 p.m. contact between the escaping
                      Federal cavalry column and Confederate pickets "near the edge of Sharpsburg." Carmen's
                      placement "at the mouth of Antietam Creek near the Potomac" makes much more sense to
                      me.

                      Best,

                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
                        I am familiar with Carman's account and the letters, reports, etc. he used to write that passage. Murfin used Carman as his source on this. I am also familiar with how far it is from Solomon's Gap to What is essentially today Sample's Manor and that is a hell of a distance to picket with 300 men. Given the reductions for picket reserves, those supporting Hart's guns and the signal detachment on Elk Ridge, it doesn't leave a lot of guys to stretch that distance. Dennis Frye, who knows the MD Campaign quite well and grew up in Pleasant Valley, finds this passage hard to accept. Yet Carman's sources say it happened, and he takes that as gospel. This passage really illustrates the difficulty and ambiguity of dealing with Carman.

                        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                        wrote:

                        > Hello, Forum.
                        >
                        > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
                        escapees, the 12th Illinois,
                        > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
                        the Sharpsburg village
                        > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
                        William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
                        > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
                        time, as well.

                        > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
                        evidence to support CS infantry,
                        > cavalry or artillery from the day's mountain gap battles being near
                        the edge of Sharpsburg at
                        > 10:00 p.m. on 9/14.
                        >
                        > Could someone please shed some light on this matter?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Steve

                      • joseph_pierro
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Tom is correct regarding the distances involved in Carman's version
                          of the event. It does give one pause. On the other hand, I've yet to
                          find any contemporary evidence to contradict the claim.

                          Also, the purpose of picketing, after all, is simply to give notice
                          of an enemy's approach, not to attempt any appreciable resistance.
                          And we're talking about picketing during the operational stage of a
                          campaign (as opposed to the tactical phase, when the bulk of both
                          armies are in close proximity, in their main battle lines). Given the
                          distances over which the ANV was scattered at the time, the vast
                          expanse of mileage over which potential threats could come, and the
                          number of different avenues of approach from which the ANV had to
                          guard against being attacked in detail, a distance as great as Carman
                          records for those pickets is not entirely out of the realm of either
                          possibility or military soundness.

                          On the larger issue, one good thing to keep in mind whenever dealing
                          with the Carman mss. is that the focus of his research overall was in
                          furtherance of his official task: to mark the battlefield of Sept.
                          17. That's where the bulk of his energies were directed -- on
                          Antietam. Much of his focus on other aspects of the campaign -- South
                          Mountain, for instance -- was undertaken primarily with regard to
                          what the unit strengths would have been by the time they reached the
                          field at Antietam. 9/17 was always uppermost.

                          Of course, his manuscript covers the entire campaign, however. I
                          don;t mean to suggest that it isn't of tremendous value OUTSIDE of
                          9/17, but the area of Carman's greatest expertise was on the battle
                          of Antietam. (Or, to put it more generously, he was on even FIRMER
                          ground when discussing Antietam than he was on other aspects of the
                          campaign.)

                          I noticed in my work that, as he moves away from the battle itself,
                          he tends to defer a bit more to his sources and is less willing to
                          second-guess them.

                          --jake