Re: 90th PA Monument

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
      In a message dated 12/20/2001 0:49:54 AM EST, Pa128th@... writes:
      << I also will post shortly information on the 90th Pa Antietam Monument
      Fund. This fund will raise $35,000.00 (10,000.00) of which has already been
      raised) to replace the orginal monument that was placed on the battlefield
      by men of the regiment. Gary Casteel is the artist. >>

      In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard mentions the 90th PA Monument.
      What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states it's been missing from the
      battlefield since 1940.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
    • Pa128th@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
        In a message dated 12/20/01 7:59:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, rotbaron@... writes:

        In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard mentions the 90th PA Monument.
        What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states it's been missing from the
        battlefield since 1940.

        Yeap, it just fell apart - remember it was actually placed by the men there - they didn't have any money to put a monument at Antietam and Gettysburg - if you recall, they actually have 4 at Gettysburg if you count the one to Rev Howell who was killed in front of the church, as he was the 90th Pa's chaplin.  So they built the one at Antietam themselves.  Anyway, I will post more, soon I hope - have to get through all this last minute holiday rush first.

        Paula
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
          Tom;

          Re monuments once on the field but now gone. You should pick up a
          copy of the booklet put out originally by OT Reilly. Some of the
          statues in that book are now no longer there as well,
          particularly along the Sunken Road.

          Maybe the monument had weathered away or was vandalized? Or was
          removed when road work was done and never put back?

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          > << I also will post shortly information on the 90th Pa Antietam
          Monument
          > Fund. This fund will raise $35,000.00 (10,000.00) of which
          has already been
          > raised) to replace the orginal monument that was placed on the
          battlefield
          > by men of the regiment. Gary Casteel is the artist. >>
          >
          > In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard mentions the 90th
          PA Monument.
          > What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states it's been
          missing from the
          > battlefield since 1940.
          >
          > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.

        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
            The fall 1995 Blue & Gray Magazine has a picture of this
            monument, page 64, and some accompanying text: "The fragile memorial did not
            last, but it is uncertain as to when it was damaged, vandalized or simply
            fell apart. Parts of the monument are stored in the park's curatorial collection"

            There is also a picture of it in John W. Schildt's "Drums along the Antietam",
            p100. Some of the content of this book might be questionable, but
            it does have some neato rare pictures, such as the Dunker Church region
            before the bypass and visitor's center were built, and a very early
            picture of the national cemetery and several farm houses that are
            kind of off the regular trail (eg, the H Rohrback farmhouse).

            TRL

            rotbaron@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 12/20/2001 0:49:54 AM EST, Pa128th@... writes:
            > << I also will post shortly information on the 90th Pa Antietam Monument
            > Fund. This fund will raise $35,000.00 (10,000.00) of which has already been
            > raised) to replace the orginal monument that was placed on the battlefield
            > by men of the regiment. Gary Casteel is the artist. >>
            >
            > In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard mentions the 90th PA Monument.
            > What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states it's been missing from the
            > battlefield since 1940.
            >
            > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

          • J Amico
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2001
              --- TR Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:
              > The fall 1995 Blue & Gray Magazine has a picture of
              > this
              > monument, page 64, and some accompanying text: "The
              > fragile memorial did not
              > last, but it is uncertain as to when it was damaged,
              > vandalized or simply
              > fell apart. Parts of the monument are stored in the
              > park's curatorial collection"
              >
              > There is also a picture of it in John W. Schildt's
              > "Drums along the Antietam",
              > p100. Some of the content of this book might be
              > questionable, but
              > it does have some neato rare pictures, such as the
              > Dunker Church region
              > before the bypass and visitor's center were built,
              > and a very early
              > picture of the national cemetery and several farm
              > houses that are
              > kind of off the regular trail (eg, the H Rohrback
              > farmhouse).
              >
              > TRL
              >
              > rotbaron@... wrote:
              >
              > > In a message dated 12/20/2001 0:49:54 AM EST,
              > Pa128th@... writes:
              > > << I also will post shortly information on the
              > 90th Pa Antietam Monument
              > > Fund. This fund will raise $35,000.00
              > (10,000.00) of which has already been
              > > raised) to replace the orginal monument that was
              > placed on the battlefield
              > > by men of the regiment. Gary Casteel is the
              > artist. >>
              > >
              > > In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard
              > mentions the 90th PA Monument.
              > > What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states
              > it's been missing from the
              > > battlefield since 1940.
              > >
              > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

              As an aside ..Im writng a booklet on the destruction
              of Iverson s Brigade at Gburg. Of course the 90th PA
              was part of the crew that was responsible for this..Im
              wondering if any of you have info. about the 90th PA
              at Gburg that may be of help. Thanks.Happy holidays
              -Jason Amico
              PA Historical and Museum Commission
              Harrisburg,PA

              http://greetings.yahoo.com