RE: [TalkAntietam] With apologies to Joyce Kilmer

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008
      There once was a man from Carass,

      Whose.oops, wrong forum!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of 128thpa@...
      Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:54 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] With apologies to Joyce Kilmer

      The 128th Pa stood upon the knoll,
      Many that day would lose their soul.
      Upon that day in mid-September,
      Just hoping that someone would remember,
      Their sacrifice upon the field,
      Their courage and bravery no one could steal.

      And so I now end this poem,
      I do admit, I am a drone,
      For poems were made by fools like me,
      But only God can make a General Lee!

      Paula(who shouldn't give up her day job)

      From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@hagerstown
      <mailto:clemenst%40hagerstowncc.edu> cc.edu>
      And marching forth in grim array,
      the gallant souls dressed in gray,
      who in their firmness would not yield
      the bloody soil of Miller's field,

      Nor those ensconced on Otto's ridge,
      stolidly defending the stone bridge,
      stemmed the teeming tide of blue,
      until the day was nearly through.

      Maybe we're onto something, want ot give it a go???

      >>> <128thpa@comcast. <mailto:128thpa%40comcast.net> net> 01/29/08 8:23 PM

      Tom:

      You are quite right,
      Rhyming verse would be insane.
      How very difficult to describe,
      The fighting in the Bloody Lane.

      Paula

      Paula,
      I would never want to hold poets to strict historical accuracy. If we
      did, then they could expect us to write history in rhyming verse, and
      that ain't gonna happen, is it? It is a wonderful poem and tells a good
      story. Even if it is n't true it addresses the idea that this was
      a"limited war" where civilians were not randomly killed, etc. There is
      a new book about this concept, which Jim McPherson reviewed in the NY
      Times this week.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens