[TalkAntietam] Re: 20 Pounder Ammunition

    Message 1 of 57 , Jan 28, 2008
      Yes it does. Hunt liked to have 100 rounds per gun in the ammo trains, but especially with this campaign it was a goal more than a reality.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...> 1/27/2008 4:40 PM >>>
      >
      > Dean,
      > The Instructions for Field Artillery manual, updated in 1864 to include the rifled guns,
      says this about the 4 chests of ammunition accompanying 20 pdr. Parrott rifles:
      > "The 10 pdr. Parrott and 3 inch rifle each carry 50 rounds per chest. The 20 pouinder
      Parott carrys 25. The proper assortment of ammunition and the method of packing for
      rifled guns, being still on experiment, is as yet still be determined."
      > That would only allow 100 rounds per gun, not very much. Because the boxes were
      uniform size the bigger the projectile the less rounds per box. What I don't get is how
      they could get 32 rounds 4.62" for a Napoleon in a box, but only 25 20 pdrs. 3.67"
      Unless it was because the powder bag was detached for rifles, attached to the sabot for
      smoothbores.

      > By the way, we talked a while ago about 20 pdr. Parrotts and mentioned McGilvary and
      Robinson's 4th & 6th ME battieries. Johnson and Anderson in Antietam Artillery hell
      conclude that they did NOT have 20 pdr Parrotts but other eapons. The mistake lies with
      the Hanson report in the NPS.

      Thank you so much, Dr. Clemens!

      Right now I have the following:

      E, 2 US (Benjamin): 4x 20pdr Rifle
      KY Lt Artillery (Simmonds): 2x 20pdr Rifle
      A, 1 Bn NY Lt (Wever): 4x 20pdr Rifle
      B, 1 Bn NY Lt (Kleiser): 4x 20pdr Rifle
      C, 1 Bn NY Lt (Langner): 4x 20pdr Rifle
      5 NY Lt (Taft): 4x 20pdr Rifle

      (D, 1 NY Lt with heavy howitzers, Robinson with 6 rifles (not sure if they are 10pdr or 3
      inch) and McGilvery with 4 Napoleons).

      Interestingly, 25 per box, 4 per gun, gives 2,200 total rounds making the emergency
      shipment probably the standard issue of the ammunition to cover the basic load of the
      army plus a 300 round reserve. Which makes sense.
      Message 57 of 57 , Feb 5, 2008
        Dear Paula,

        Blame it on Yahell...............

        From: 128thpa@...