Re: [TalkAntietam] George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
      Todd;

      I saw your response to Tom Shay's comments. Perhaps we can try to
      coordinate with any possible SHAF work days? Tom Clemens can
      probably help with that.

      Tom C, any possibility of posting in here any upcoming important
      SHAF related dates in enough time for folks to check their
      schedules?

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001

        NJ Rebel wrote:

        > Todd;
        >
        > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
        > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
        > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
        > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
        > would be so complicated!
        >
        > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
        > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
        > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
        > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
        > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
        > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
        > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
        > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
        > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
        > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
        > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
        > LOS extremely difficult.
        >
        > Excellent work!
        >
        > Your humble servant,
        > Gerry Mayers
        > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        > Edward Lee

      • David Lutton
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
          Todd,

          I just wanted to dido Tom's comments on your recent post concerning Battery
          B, 4th US. As usual I was quite impressed with your work. As to the
          possibility of a spring muster, count me in. There is nothing like walking
          Antietam ground with kindred spirits!

          David Lutton