AP Hill's route from HF to Antietam

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008
      I'm looking for the best map detailing AP HIll's route of march from Harpers Ferry to Antietam.

      The roadside marker in Beverton, WV has a decent map, but not enough detail.

      I believe the big Antietam seminar (held in 2007) offered a tour of the route, so perhaps someone attend that tour and got a map handout? Any other sources?

    • dean_essig
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008
        Actually, I could use this information as well... I'm going to physically measure the Hill route
        and compare it to the routes taken by McLaws and Anderson on the ground to see just how
        much longer Hill's was. I rather agree with Harsh here, there is something fishy going on with
        Hill that was swept under the rug because of the events of that day.

        (Of course, all this requires that I identify the exact routes taken by the other divisions
        coming from Harpers Ferry as well...)
      • david lutton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008

          About 10 years ago I was interested in the Hill's march and got a map of the route from the Park Service. I had my wife drop me off in Harpers Ferry and I bicycled the route to Sharpsburg.

          I can't vouch for the map's accuracy but I had a blast doing it!

          David Lutton

        • RoteBaron@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
            I have a printout from NPS that gives directions to Harpers Ferry. It also has a map also showing Hill's route, but there is minimal detail and not worth posting.

            The roadside marker near Beverton, WV has a map of the route.
            See http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=1955
            Click on photo #2 for a closeup of the map.

            The optimal map would show Hill's route and also the other units' route.

            From: "david lutton" <dunkerch@...>
            Tom,