Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: [Fox's Gap Question specif re 4th NC

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
      Dear Stephen,

      Believe it or not, I know about the Battle brothers and have a
      copies of some of their letters. I was not aware about that
      particular book.

      I am also quite aware of Osbourne; a fascinating person, indeed.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008

        > Gerry,
        >
        > Have you checked out the book "As You May Never See Us Again: The
        Civil
        > War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina
        Infantry"?
        > I've been thinking about checking it out and would love your
        opinion.

        > I've been doing some research on Edwin Osborne of the 4th NC. I
        went to
        > UNC Chapel Hill and scanned his autobiography. I'll see if there is
        > anything there.

        Stephen,

        Col. E. A. Osborne wrote the sketch of the 4th N.C. that appears in
        Walter Clark's "Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions
        from North Carolina in the Great War 1861-'65. As for the book you
        mentioned, the letters are great. Two letter not to be missed were
        written by Walter, one on Sept. 5, 1862 which describes what he saw
        in Loudoun County just before crossing the Potomac into Maryland,
        talks about the straggling, and the weather. The other letter is
        dated Sept. 29, 1862 in which Walter only briefly wrote about the
        battle of Antietam itself but gave a stirring account of how he and
        three other men carried Brig. Gen. Anderson to safety. The book is
        only 124 pages long, contains a roster of Company F, 4th N.C.
        Infantry, has an OK introduction, some pretty good footnotes but no
        index. Most of the letters were written by Walter Battle as his
        brother George "died of wounds in Richmond 6/6/1862."

        Regards,
        Teej
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
          Thanks Teej. I'll check it out then.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
            Dear Stephen,

            While cleaning out my Inbox, I saw the email below and wondered
            if you found anything of interest in Osbourne's autobiography re
            the 4th NC and especially Fox's Gap and Sharpsburg?