Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: [Fox's Gap Question specif re 4th NC

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
      Dear Bill,

      I recd. your note last evening and spent the night contemplating
      it.

      Unlike you, I have not been perusing the Confederate and Federal
      reports in the ORs. As you know, my book project is pretty much
      strictly from the Confederate side. The "timeline" if you will
      which I posted is a synthesis of all my reading of the last few
      years from other primary sources, including the Battles and
      Leaders article by D H Hill, as well as the book "To Drive the
      Enemy from Southern Soil" (the letters of F M Parker of the 30th
      NC).

      Mainly what I wanted to know was whether my timeline was a
      reasonable reconstruction of events as far as Anderson's NC
      Brigade was concerned for Fox's Gap and then their retreat routes
      etc after leaving the mountain the night of September 14th.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008

        Have you checked out the book "As You May Never See Us Again: The Civil
        War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina Infantry"?
        I've been thinking about checking it out and would love your opinion.

        I've been doing some research on Edwin Osborne of the 4th NC. I went to
        UNC Chapel Hill and scanned his autobiography. I'll see if there is
        anything there.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
          Dear Stephen,

          Believe it or not, I know about the Battle brothers and have a
          copies of some of their letters. I was not aware about that
          particular book.

          I am also quite aware of Osbourne; a fascinating person, indeed.

          > Have you checked out the book "As You May Never See Us Again:
          > The Civil
          > War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina
          > Infantry"?
          > I've been thinking about checking it out and would love your
          > opinion.
          >
          > I've been doing some research on Edwin Osborne of the 4th NC. I
          > went to
          > UNC Chapel Hill and scanned his autobiography. I'll see if
          > there is
          > anything there.
          >
          > Stephen
          >

          > On Sunday, January 27, 2008, at 09:49 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
          >
          >> Dear Bill,
          >>
          >> I recd. your note last evening and spent the night
          >> contemplating
          >> it.
          >>
          >> Unlike you, I have not been perusing the Confederate and
          >> Federal
          >> reports in the ORs. As you know, my book project is pretty
          >> much
          >> strictly from the Confederate side. The "timeline" if you will
          >> which I posted is a synthesis of all my reading of the last
          >> few
          >> years from other primary sources, including the Battles and
          >> Leaders article by D H Hill, as well as the book "To Drive the
          >> Enemy from Southern Soil" (the letters of F M Parker of the
          >> 30th
          >> NC).
          >>
          >> Mainly what I wanted to know was whether my timeline was a
          >> reasonable reconstruction of events as far as Anderson's NC
          >> Brigade was concerned for Fox's Gap and then their retreat
          >> routes
          >> etc after leaving the mountain the night of September 14th.
          >>
          >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
          >> G E "Gerry" Mayers

          >> even
          >> from
          >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008

            > Gerry,
            >
            > Have you checked out the book "As You May Never See Us Again: The
            Civil
            > War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina
            Infantry"?
            > I've been thinking about checking it out and would love your
            opinion.

            > I've been doing some research on Edwin Osborne of the 4th NC. I
            went to
            > UNC Chapel Hill and scanned his autobiography. I'll see if there is
            > anything there.

            Stephen,

            Col. E. A. Osborne wrote the sketch of the 4th N.C. that appears in
            Walter Clark's "Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions
            from North Carolina in the Great War 1861-'65. As for the book you
            mentioned, the letters are great. Two letter not to be missed were
            written by Walter, one on Sept. 5, 1862 which describes what he saw
            in Loudoun County just before crossing the Potomac into Maryland,
            talks about the straggling, and the weather. The other letter is
            dated Sept. 29, 1862 in which Walter only briefly wrote about the
            battle of Antietam itself but gave a stirring account of how he and
            three other men carried Brig. Gen. Anderson to safety. The book is
            only 124 pages long, contains a roster of Company F, 4th N.C.
            Infantry, has an OK introduction, some pretty good footnotes but no
            index. Most of the letters were written by Walter Battle as his
            brother George "died of wounds in Richmond 6/6/1862."

            Regards,
            Teej
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
              Thanks Teej. I'll check it out then.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
                Dear Stephen,

                While cleaning out my Inbox, I saw the email below and wondered
                if you found anything of interest in Osbourne's autobiography re
                the 4th NC and especially Fox's Gap and Sharpsburg?