RE: [Fox's Gap Question specif re 4th NC

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2008

      Yes, this is a tall order, How much material from the Official Records have you studied and documented? That is where my research on the battle stands at present--a re-organization of the OR reports by time, specific geographic locations and then regiment. It is very much a "work in progress" at this point. One would assume that you have studied the OR material and it might be redundant for me to pass it along.

      In regard to routes of march, there are only a few roads leading from Fox's Gap through Keedysville to Antietam, so it should be simple to evaluate them by process of elimination. It did that with the Seventeenth Michigan (Christ's Brigade)--along with several day of actually driving and walking the entire route.

      Bill Christen
      Fox's Gap Question specif re 4th NC
      Posted by: "G E Mayers"

      For the past several years, I've been working on a book project,
      personal, about the 4th NC during the Maryland Campaign . . . Where I need help with are:
      1. Where . . .
      5. How long . . .on the Sharpsburg Ridge facing the
      Antietam Creek?
      This is sort of a tall order,

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
        Dear Bill,

        I recd. your note last evening and spent the night contemplating
        it.

        Unlike you, I have not been perusing the Confederate and Federal
        reports in the ORs. As you know, my book project is pretty much
        strictly from the Confederate side. The "timeline" if you will
        which I posted is a synthesis of all my reading of the last few
        years from other primary sources, including the Battles and
        Leaders article by D H Hill, as well as the book "To Drive the
        Enemy from Southern Soil" (the letters of F M Parker of the 30th
        NC).

        Mainly what I wanted to know was whether my timeline was a
        reasonable reconstruction of events as far as Anderson's NC
        Brigade was concerned for Fox's Gap and then their retreat routes
        etc after leaving the mountain the night of September 14th.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008

          Have you checked out the book "As You May Never See Us Again: The Civil
          War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina Infantry"?
          I've been thinking about checking it out and would love your opinion.

          I've been doing some research on Edwin Osborne of the 4th NC. I went to
          UNC Chapel Hill and scanned his autobiography. I'll see if there is
          anything there.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
            Dear Stephen,

            Believe it or not, I know about the Battle brothers and have a
            copies of some of their letters. I was not aware about that
            particular book.

            I am also quite aware of Osbourne; a fascinating person, indeed.

            > Have you checked out the book "As You May Never See Us Again:
            > The Civil
            > War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina
            > Infantry"?
            > I've been thinking about checking it out and would love your
            > opinion.
            >
            > I've been doing some research on Edwin Osborne of the 4th NC. I
            > went to
            > UNC Chapel Hill and scanned his autobiography. I'll see if
            > there is
            > anything there.
            >
            > Stephen
            >

            > On Sunday, January 27, 2008, at 09:49 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
            >
            >> Dear Bill,
            >>
            >> I recd. your note last evening and spent the night
            >> contemplating
            >> it.
            >>
            >> Unlike you, I have not been perusing the Confederate and
            >> Federal
            >> reports in the ORs. As you know, my book project is pretty
            >> much
            >> strictly from the Confederate side. The "timeline" if you will
            >> which I posted is a synthesis of all my reading of the last
            >> few
            >> years from other primary sources, including the Battles and
            >> Leaders article by D H Hill, as well as the book "To Drive the
            >> Enemy from Southern Soil" (the letters of F M Parker of the
            >> 30th
            >> NC).
            >>
            >> Mainly what I wanted to know was whether my timeline was a
            >> reasonable reconstruction of events as far as Anderson's NC
            >> Brigade was concerned for Fox's Gap and then their retreat
            >> routes
            >> etc after leaving the mountain the night of September 14th.
            >>
            >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
            >> G E "Gerry" Mayers

            >> even
            >> from
            >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008

              > Gerry,
              >
              > Have you checked out the book "As You May Never See Us Again: The
              Civil
              > War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina
              Infantry"?
              > I've been thinking about checking it out and would love your
              opinion.

              > I've been doing some research on Edwin Osborne of the 4th NC. I
              went to
              > UNC Chapel Hill and scanned his autobiography. I'll see if there is
              > anything there.

              Stephen,

              Col. E. A. Osborne wrote the sketch of the 4th N.C. that appears in
              Walter Clark's "Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions
              from North Carolina in the Great War 1861-'65. As for the book you
              mentioned, the letters are great. Two letter not to be missed were
              written by Walter, one on Sept. 5, 1862 which describes what he saw
              in Loudoun County just before crossing the Potomac into Maryland,
              talks about the straggling, and the weather. The other letter is
              dated Sept. 29, 1862 in which Walter only briefly wrote about the
              battle of Antietam itself but gave a stirring account of how he and
              three other men carried Brig. Gen. Anderson to safety. The book is
              only 124 pages long, contains a roster of Company F, 4th N.C.
              Infantry, has an OK introduction, some pretty good footnotes but no
              index. Most of the letters were written by Walter Battle as his
              brother George "died of wounds in Richmond 6/6/1862."

              Regards,
              Teej
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
                Thanks Teej. I'll check it out then.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7 4:56 PM
                  Dear Stephen,

                  While cleaning out my Inbox, I saw the email below and wondered
                  if you found anything of interest in Osbourne's autobiography re
                  the 4th NC and especially Fox's Gap and Sharpsburg?