Re: Macadamized turnpikes, RR's, etc.

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 16, 2008
      Back then "running" shoes supplied little support anyway IIRC. In
      recent years, the great variety of shoes makes it easy. Now I run so
      slow and short that whatever Costco has on sale is good enough.

      My guess is that CW Macadamized roads unless they were well
      maintained probably had more dirt than crushed stone on the roadbed.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
      wrote:

      > Back in the 70's, when a different version of me ran cross-country,
      we would
      > occasionally run on the blacktop roads barefoot to toughen up our
      feet.
      > We'd also spray the soles of our feet with something called "Tuf
      Skin" - I

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
        Larry,
        Only one bridge crossed the river at HF. It carried the B&O RR across the river as well as foot traffic. On the VA shore a station lay between the B&O which curved to the right and went west, and the Winchester & Potomac which went straight ahead. Although the station is gone the same split in the tracks exists today.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
          Thanks Tom--that clears that up for me.