Re: [TalkAntietam] George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
      Todd;

      I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
      together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
      terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
      indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
      would be so complicated!

      You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
      understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
      field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
      students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
      various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
      undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
      participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
      Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
      you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
      Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
      West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
      LOS extremely difficult.

      Excellent work!

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
        Todd;

        I saw your response to Tom Shay's comments. Perhaps we can try to
        coordinate with any possible SHAF work days? Tom Clemens can
        probably help with that.

        Tom C, any possibility of posting in here any upcoming important
        SHAF related dates in enough time for folks to check their
        schedules?

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        > We should consider trying to do a muster this next sprint,
        > even if only a handful of us can make it.
        >
        > TRL
        >
        > NJ Rebel wrote:
        >
        > > Todd;
        > >
        > > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had
        put
        > > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from
        both a
        > > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and
        informative
        > > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
        > > would be so complicated!
        > >
        > > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
        > > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of
        the
        > > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
        > > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of
        the
        > > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
        > > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from
        the
        > > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
        > > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project
        as
        > > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
        > > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in
        the
        > > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do
        make
        > > LOS extremely difficult.
        > >
        > > Excellent work!
        > >
        > > Your humble servant,
        > > Gerry Mayers
        > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
        > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
        > >
        > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
        > >
        > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
        field
        > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
        Robert
        > > Edward Lee

        Service.

      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001

          NJ Rebel wrote:

          > Todd;
          >
          > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
          > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
          > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
          > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
          > would be so complicated!
          >
          > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
          > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
          > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
          > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
          > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
          > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
          > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
          > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
          > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
          > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
          > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
          > LOS extremely difficult.
          >
          > Excellent work!
          >
          > Your humble servant,
          > Gerry Mayers
          > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          > Edward Lee

        • David Lutton
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
            Todd,

            I just wanted to dido Tom's comments on your recent post concerning Battery
            B, 4th US. As usual I was quite impressed with your work. As to the
            possibility of a spring muster, count me in. There is nothing like walking
            Antietam ground with kindred spirits!

            David Lutton