Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Macadamized turnpikes, RR's, etc.

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 16, 2008
      Dear Larry,

      The Gallagher book "Antietam" is the one I was referring to.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 16, 2008
        For those who may be confused, there are two collections, one from Kent State and one from UNC. They are two different collections of Gallagher edited essays on the Maryland Campaign.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 16, 2008
          Thank you Gerry and Harry--fortunately for me I have both. I see
          references about straggling and bare feet but nothing specific yet
          about the Macadamized turnpikes, but Carman has a couple. Just makes
          sense though that bare feet walking on crushed stone does not work no
          matter how tough those feet may be, IMO.

          Reminds me of my Conn. days when a fellow runner, Dr. Charlie
          Robinson, would run road races in bare feet! He was about 25 years
          older than I and always beat me--I started catching up when he
          reached his 70's. Of course his feet were toughened before he did
          this consistently and he did wear socks in the winter. I assume he
          had good biomechanics: no flat feet, no bunions, etc. Still, I always
          marveled at him. BTW, his doctorate was reportedly in psychology,
          figures.

          Larry F.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
          wrote:

          > For those who may be confused, there are two collections, one from
          Kent State and one from UNC. They are two different collections of
          Gallagher edited essays on the Maryland Campaign.

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 16, 2008
            Back in the 70's, when a different version of me ran cross-country, we would
            occasionally run on the blacktop roads barefoot to toughen up our feet.
            We'd also spray the soles of our feet with something called "Tuf Skin" - I
            don't think it actually made your skin tough, but we thought it did.
            Everyone wanted to be Abebe Bikila.

            Yep, I imagine macadam (not nearly as smooth as blacktop, and less stable)
            would wreak havoc on bare feet, no matter how tough.

            yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@>

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 16, 2008
              Yes the dates of destruction of bridges, Johnson's orders, are correct. Hagerstown Pike and Boonsboro Shepherdstown Pike were private toll roads. Although perhaps not of the quality of the National Road, both were nominally macademized.
              There are several accounts of shoeless Confederates being weeded out before crossing the Potomac. Supposedly they were sent to Winchester to get supplied with shoes and then meet Lee in Hagerstown area. Therfore, most rebs in the MD campaign had shoes, or at least were supposed to have shoes. I have a newspaper account from a Lt. writing his hometown paper about guys left in VA for lack of shoes, or other physical ailments.

              >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 01/16/08 4:46 PM >>>
              If folks have some answers/opinions re the below I'd like to hear them
              but pls don't spend time researching: if you have good specific
              references pls let me know.

              Macadamized (crushed rock) roads according to Carman were everywhere
              but he does not say which roads were and to what length or discuss the
              quality of the use of crushed rock. My guess is that the National Road
              was fully macadamized as were many of the main roads leading out of
              D.C. How about the roads/pikes around Sharpsburg? My question has to do
              with the many barefoot Confederates coming out of Virginia and marching
              around during the Maryland Campaign. Straggling was heavy on both sides
              but wasn't the factor of shod v. unshod feet more of a factor for the
              Confederates? Or are road surfaces during the campaign of very minor
              concern? I wondered about Jackson's slow marches to Martinsburg from
              Frederick and then to HF--barefooted, slow soldiers?

              I've read that the bridges at Point of Rocks, Shepherdstown, and
              Brunswick were all burned at Jackson's orders (Johnston's?) on 9 June
              1861--I have 2 references (Robertson: "Stonewall" and
              Turner "Railroads" showing the RR bridge at HF was blown up on 14 June.
              Are these dates correct?

              The RR bridge at HF was the only bridge across either river in 1861?
              But what about the Winchester and Potomac RR; did it cross the
              Shenendoah at HF or how did it connect with the B&O? I understand that
              during the Maryland Campaign the pontoon bridge above the burned B&O RR
              bridge was the only bridge still intact?

              Thank you,
              Larry F.
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 16, 2008
                Thanks Tom,

                Any idea about the RR bridge for the Winchester Potomac? Was there a
                RR bridge that carried the WP across the Shenandoah or Potomac near
                HF?

                I wonder if the Macadamized road also had a bad effort upon horses.
                Of course they had shoes but I guess they would last the month that
                they spend in Maryland regardless. I read in Carman that the
                Confederates tried to weed out weaker horses before entering
                Maryland; I also read that some Confederates threw away their shoes
                so they could stay in Virginia.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 16, 2008
                  Back then "running" shoes supplied little support anyway IIRC. In
                  recent years, the great variety of shoes makes it easy. Now I run so
                  slow and short that whatever Costco has on sale is good enough.

                  My guess is that CW Macadamized roads unless they were well
                  maintained probably had more dirt than crushed stone on the roadbed.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
                    Larry,
                    Only one bridge crossed the river at HF. It carried the B&O RR across the river as well as foot traffic. On the VA shore a station lay between the B&O which curved to the right and went west, and the Winchester & Potomac which went straight ahead. Although the station is gone the same split in the tracks exists today.

                    Dr. Thomas G. Clemens
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
                      Thanks Tom--that clears that up for me.