Re: The Mountain House (The Old South Mountain Inn)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2008
      Jake et al,

      Thanks for confirming that the M House has always been on the south
      side of the N Road. I spent a couple of hours trying to find the
      questionable map(s) but only found one with it on the north
      side: "Lee's Lts" vol. 2, pg. 175. The cite for it shows 2 B&L pg.
      568 but it looks like B&L is correct.

      Should I find more I will post them.

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
      <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

      > Larry:
      >
      > I'm cuirous. How old are the maps in question?
      >
      > Reason I ask. I've seen one or two maps in my time that contain a
      printer's error.

      > In the initial runs of these maps, the DAHLGREN CHAPEL (which, as
      you know, is nearly opposite the Mountain House, on the north side of
      the National Road) was mistakenly labeled as the "Mountain House."
      (Subsequent printings moved the label to the right structure.)

      > I'm wondering if something similar is not the case in the maps to
      which you refer.

      > --jake

      Mountain Inn)

      > I've noticed on some maps that the location of the Mountain House
      > is to
      > the north of the Old National Road while others show it on the
      > south
      > side.
      >
      > Having been there several times, it is hard to see how the road
      > could
      > have ever been on the south side of the inn. Are the maps showing
      > the
      > road on the south of the inn mistaken or am I missing something?
      >
      > Larry F.

    • Joseph Pierro
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2008
        Yeah, the House is on its original footing, and while the road bed has been widened, it's currently on the same basic track as the original layout.

        I never noticed that error is DSF's map before. Sharp eyes, Larry!

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2008
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2008
            Thanks for posting that map Tom. As you well know, he also has Colquitt's position incorrectly drawn, and we can nitpick his representation of Garland's position as well. Not surprising that the Mountain House is out of position too. One wonders if this laxity of mapping is repeated for other battles in Lee's Lts.

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

            >>> <RoteBaron@...> 1/10/2008 11:28 AM >>>
            Below is an awfully long link, but it shows the map in Lee's Lieutenants with South Mtn Inn on north side of pike:

            http://books.google.com/books?id=2Q74UXpKfWAC&dq=lee%27s+lieutenants&pg=PP1&ots=Xq5NWQb3Q1&sig=t_4nKA2qxgEuyHSqMX8RAM1R-LQ&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Lee%27s+Lieutenants&btnG=Google+Search&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPA350,M1