Farewell Letters

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2008
      Go here:

      http://bullrunnings
      <http://bullrunnings.wordpress.com/2008/01/05/farewell-letters-then-and-now/
      > .wordpress.com/2008/01/05/farewell-letters-then-and-now/

      And follow the links to read about Sullivan Ballou and also a recent
      casualty in Iraq. I didn't know the man, but wish I did.

      Harry

    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        Thanks Harry,

        Like all War, the current adventure is for crap. I'd like to have
        known Major Olmstead myself ... thanks to you and Don for posting.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
          I first saw this on Crossed Sabers shortly after Don put it up and
          was very moved. From what Don writes, he was a terrific guy. His blog
          entry to be posted after his death was very sad yet I took heart from
          reading that he died doing what he wanted to do. I was also reminded
          of Ballou's letter.

          Semper Fi,

          Larry Freiheit