Re: [TalkAntietam] George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2001
      Todd,
      Things appear fine on this end. Will try to take some time next
      week to thoroughly peruse your latest additions.

      I know you could not resist the challenge! Might be something
      which has never been done before in the study of the battle and
      the terrain.

      Knowing how exacting your work is, I am going to offer my
      congratulations in advance.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
        Todd;

        I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
        together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
        terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
        indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
        would be so complicated!

        You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
        understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
        field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
        students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
        various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
        undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
        participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
        Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
        you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
        Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
        West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
        LOS extremely difficult.

        Excellent work!

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

> [...]
        > > Battery B, Fourth US, do you have a map or series of maps
        which
        > > would show the LOS and other factors as seen from that
        particular
        > > artillery position? Might help the current discussion,
        > > particularly if you could show the LOS etc from both
        Federal and
        > > Confederate perspectives vis a vis the Texas Brigade and
        the
        > > various Federal units they contended against.
        > >
        > > Just a thought. Hope all is well with you my friend.
        > >
        > > Your humble servant,
        > > Gerry Mayers
        > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
        > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
        > >
        > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
        > >
        > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
        field
        > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General

        Service.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
          Todd;

          I saw your response to Tom Shay's comments. Perhaps we can try to
          coordinate with any possible SHAF work days? Tom Clemens can
          probably help with that.

          Tom C, any possibility of posting in here any upcoming important
          SHAF related dates in enough time for folks to check their
          schedules?

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          > We should consider trying to do a muster this next sprint,
          > even if only a handful of us can make it.
          >
          > TRL
          >
          > NJ Rebel wrote:
          >
          > > Todd;
          > >
          > > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had
          put
          > > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from
          both a
          > > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and
          informative
          > > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
          > > would be so complicated!
          > >
          > > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
          > > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of
          the
          > > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
          > > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of
          the
          > > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
          > > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from
          the
          > > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
          > > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project
          as
          > > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
          > > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in
          the
          > > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do
          make
          > > LOS extremely difficult.
          > >
          > > Excellent work!
          > >
          > > Your humble servant,
          > > Gerry Mayers
          > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
          > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
          > >
          > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
          > >
          > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field
          > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
          Robert
          > > Edward Lee

          Service.

        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001

            NJ Rebel wrote:

            > Todd;
            >
            > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
            > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
            > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
            > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
            > would be so complicated!
            >
            > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
            > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
            > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
            > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
            > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
            > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
            > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
            > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
            > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
            > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
            > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
            > LOS extremely difficult.
            >
            > Excellent work!
            >
            > Your humble servant,
            > Gerry Mayers
            > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            > Edward Lee

          • David Lutton
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
              Todd,

              I just wanted to dido Tom's comments on your recent post concerning Battery
              B, 4th US. As usual I was quite impressed with your work. As to the
              possibility of a spring muster, count me in. There is nothing like walking
              Antietam ground with kindred spirits!

              David Lutton