Re: General Mansfield

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 21, 2007
      Jim,

      I wrote a paper which included info about Mansfield. It is available
      on line on Military History Online on its home page:
      http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/

      http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/civilwar/articles/nutmeggers1.asp

      It may have some reference which may help.

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Jim Rosebrock <pointsalines@...>
      wrote:

      > Thank you Jake. Mansfield is someone who has interested me for
      some time. I am going to do some more digging. I just started
      volunteering at Antietam Battlefield but am a lifelong student of
      military history and particularly the Civil War. Appreciate your
      insights.

      > Jim

      them reference Mansfield prior to the MD campaign.

      > In Sears's Civil War Papers of GBM, there's a note from Mac to
      Lincoln (pp. 29-30) in June 1861 (when the former was still
      commanding the Dept. of the Ohio) asking that his father in law
      replace Mansfield (who had been promoted and reassigned to the Dept
      of Washington) as IG in the Ohio Dept, so Mansfield had likely had
      some fleeting contact with him in a staff capacity (However,
      McClellan was assigned the command on May 3, and Mansfield was
      already gone by the 1st of June. If they had any interaction at all --
      assuming Mansfield hadn't already been promoted before Mac's
      assumption of command -- it couldn't have been much.)

      > A more telling one (p. 70) is a note to his wife on July 27, in
      which Mac says, "I have been assigned to the command of a Division --
      composed of Depts of N.E. Va (that under McDowell) & that of
      Washington (now under Mansfield) -- neither of them like it much --
      especially Mansfield, but I think they must ere long become
      accustomed to it, as there is no help for it. . . . " (He makes the
      same statement in Own Story, p. 70).

      > Mansfield remained in command of the District of Columbia until
      being assigned to the command of Newport News, Va, in October 1861.
      Given McClellan's focus on re-organizing the Army of the Potomac
      after Manassas (to say nothing of his duties as general in chief),
      I'm not sure how much attention he paid to Mansfield during these
      four months.

      > As for what Mansfield might have thought, I for one have never seen
      anything written by him besides what is printed in the OR.

      > --jake

      Mansfield, like the other early Corps commanders were considerably
      senior to McClellan in the old regular army. They must have
      interacted while Mansfield was performing other duties in the
      Washington area prior to the Maryland campaign?
      > Jim

      decision had more to do with a preference for the latter to remain in
      charge of the Washington defenses. (For a detailed discussion of
      Banks's role during this period, see Irwin's article in v2 of
      B&L, "Washington Under Banks.")

      > Given the Lincoln administration' s understandable skepticism of
      assurances by McClellan that the troops left for the defense of the
      city was adequate to the demand, Banks (whatever his shortcomings had
      been in the field against Jackson) was seen as the most reliable and
      tested general officer (of those that were immediately available) for
      the command.

      > Besides, given the friction between the Army of Va/AoP high command
      in the Second Manassas campaign, sending another A.Va corps
      commander, such as Banks, to serve under McClellan likely seemed more
      problematic than sending an outsider like Mansfield.

      > Further, McClellan had never wanted Heintzelman in corps command.
      Heintzelman was forced upon him by Lincoln at the outset of the
      Peninsula campaign. (It's one of the reasons he fought so hard to
      have the order that relieved Franklin from command and placed the
      Sixth Corps under Heintzelman' s leadership recinded. Had the order
      stood, it would have meant marching into Maryland either without the
      Sixth Corps or with Heintzelman, and neither prospect much appealed
      to Little Mac.)

      > --jake

      Mansfield to command the XII Corps. I know he had been pushing for
      command but was it supported by McClellan or was he pushed on
      McClellan by Lincoln-Stanton- Halleck? From McClellans point of view,
      was Mansfield a lesser of two evils compared to Nathaniel Banks

      > Jim Rosebrock

      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools. search.yahoo.
      com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

      > Be a better friend, newshound, and
      > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.
      yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 22, 2007
        Pardon the OT, but I saw National Treasure last night. Fun to see
        Lincoln and the CW on the big screen again. Anyone else see it?

        Stephen
      • Brian Richardson
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 22, 2007
          Hi Stephen -

          Just got home from seeing the new National Treasure - I know, I should
          have been home studying! I agree with you, it was a lot of fun, with
          some good shots of historic places. I happened to notice in the
          credits that they named the actor who played Asa Trenchard instead of
          using Harry Hawk's name. Wonder why? I don't suppose many people in
          the audience would be familiar with either name, so I guess it's just a
          point of curiosity.

          Brian Richardson