Re: [TalkAntietam] George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2001
      Gerry & group,

      Sorry it has taken awhile, but I finally put together some material
      on the LOS of Battery B's position. This is something a little new;
      I have drawn maps that show the LOS from a particular point, but
      the idea of drawing a map that shows the LOS from an aggregate
      set of points (e.g., the region occupied by an entire unit such
      as a regiment or a battery) came to me as I read through your post.

      The results can be found under

      http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/losbattb.html

      but you will probably want to first read through

      http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/los.html
      and
      http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/losregion.html

      which give a long-winded explanation of what I am babbling about.

      All of these pieces are part of my general analytical study of the
      battlefield (http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study)
      which is currently in a DRAFT, UNPROOFED, and INCOMPLETE state.
      I add bits and pieces from time to time, this being one of them.

      All is well here, except that I missed my resolution to finally make it
      to the Heritage festival this year. Damn lousy economy. How are things
      on your end?

      Regards,
      TRL

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2001
        Todd,
        Things appear fine on this end. Will try to take some time next
        week to thoroughly peruse your latest additions.

        I know you could not resist the challenge! Might be something
        which has never been done before in the study of the battle and
        the terrain.

        Knowing how exacting your work is, I am going to offer my
        congratulations in advance.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        > Sorry it has taken awhile, but I finally put together some
        material
        > on the LOS of Battery B's position. This is something a little
        new;
        > I have drawn maps that show the LOS from a particular point,
        but
        > the idea of drawing a map that shows the LOS from an aggregate
        > set of points (e.g., the region occupied by an entire unit such
        > as a regiment or a battery) came to me as I read through your
        post.

        > The results can be found under

        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/losbattb.htm

        > but you will probably want to first read through

        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/los.html
        > and

        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/losregion.ht
        ml

        > which give a long-winded explanation of what I am babbling
        about.

        > All of these pieces are part of my general analytical study of
        the
        > battlefield
        (http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study)
        > which is currently in a DRAFT, UNPROOFED, and INCOMPLETE state.
        > I add bits and pieces from time to time, this being one of
        them.

        > All is well here, except that I missed my resolution to finally
        make it
        > to the Heritage festival this year. Damn lousy economy. How are
        things
        > on your end?
        >
        > Regards,
        > TRL
        >
        > NJ Rebel wrote:
        >
        > > Todd,
        > >
        > > I agree. The focus of George's article is the First Texas
        and the
        > > actions of the other units in the division commanded by
        Hood at
        > > Antietam.
        > >
        > > However, due to the questions and comments regarding
        Campbell's
        > > Battery B, Fourth US, do you have a map or series of maps
        which
        > > would show the LOS and other factors as seen from that
        particular
        > > artillery position? Might help the current discussion,
        > > particularly if you could show the LOS etc from both
        Federal and
        > > Confederate perspectives vis a vis the Texas Brigade and
        the
        > > various Federal units they contended against.
        > >
        > > Just a thought. Hope all is well with you my friend.
        > >
        > > Your humble servant,
        > > Gerry Mayers
        > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
        > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
        > >
        > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
        > >
        > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
        field
        > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
        Robert

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
          Todd;

          I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
          together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
          terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
          indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
          would be so complicated!

          You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
          understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
          field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
          students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
          various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
          undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
          participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
          Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
          you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
          Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
          West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
          LOS extremely difficult.

          Excellent work!

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

> [...]
          > > Battery B, Fourth US, do you have a map or series of maps
          which
          > > would show the LOS and other factors as seen from that
          particular
          > > artillery position? Might help the current discussion,
          > > particularly if you could show the LOS etc from both
          Federal and
          > > Confederate perspectives vis a vis the Texas Brigade and
          the
          > > various Federal units they contended against.
          > >
          > > Just a thought. Hope all is well with you my friend.
          > >
          > > Your humble servant,
          > > Gerry Mayers
          > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
          > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
          > >
          > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
          > >
          > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field
          > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General

          Service.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
            Todd;

            I saw your response to Tom Shay's comments. Perhaps we can try to
            coordinate with any possible SHAF work days? Tom Clemens can
            probably help with that.

            Tom C, any possibility of posting in here any upcoming important
            SHAF related dates in enough time for folks to check their
            schedules?

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            > We should consider trying to do a muster this next sprint,
            > even if only a handful of us can make it.
            >
            > TRL
            >
            > NJ Rebel wrote:
            >
            > > Todd;
            > >
            > > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had
            put
            > > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from
            both a
            > > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and
            informative
            > > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
            > > would be so complicated!
            > >
            > > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
            > > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of
            the
            > > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
            > > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of
            the
            > > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
            > > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from
            the
            > > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
            > > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project
            as
            > > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
            > > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in
            the
            > > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do
            make
            > > LOS extremely difficult.
            > >
            > > Excellent work!
            > >
            > > Your humble servant,
            > > Gerry Mayers
            > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
            > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
            > >
            > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
            > >
            > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
            field
            > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
            Robert
            > > Edward Lee

            Service.

          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001

              NJ Rebel wrote:

              > Todd;
              >
              > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
              > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
              > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
              > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
              > would be so complicated!
              >
              > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
              > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
              > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
              > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
              > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
              > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
              > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
              > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
              > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
              > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
              > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
              > LOS extremely difficult.
              >
              > Excellent work!
              >
              > Your humble servant,
              > Gerry Mayers
              > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              > Edward Lee

            • David Lutton
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
                Todd,

                I just wanted to dido Tom's comments on your recent post concerning Battery
                B, 4th US. As usual I was quite impressed with your work. As to the
                possibility of a spring muster, count me in. There is nothing like walking
                Antietam ground with kindred spirits!

                David Lutton