RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: CWDG

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
      Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty much
      apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has been
      interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic wit can be
      more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of military
      realities.

      Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!

      Harry

      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
        Dear Harry,

        How about both factors at work?

        What I find so interesting, especially in the AoP, is the
        mistrust of the West Pointers for the volunteer officers,
        particularly generals like Butterfield and Sickles, and the
        distrust of the volunteers (in general) for West Point trained
        officers.

        Recall the famous scene in THE movie where the private from the
        Second Maine is talking to Chamberlain???

        > Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty
        > much
        > apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has
        > been
        > interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic
        > wit can be
        > more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of
        > military
        > realities.
        >
        > Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!
        >
        > Harry

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
          Well, Gerry, that IS a movie.

          And I think there were other things about Butterfield and Sickles that West
          Pointers disliked aside from their alma maters.

          I think that distrust of amateurs by professionals is prevalent in any
          profession, be it the military, the law, medicine, accounting, plumbing,
          welding, you name it.

          Harry