Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CWDG

    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007

      On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 09:43 PM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

      > It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
      > sorry, Steve!

      In the spirit of the season I will accept all of these kind words with
      gladness, and I will work on my material as well.

      Interesting about that Lincoln quote, and the cavalry of both sides
      after Antietam. Ethan Rafuse's "McClellan's War" makes a pretty decent
      case for what Mac's cavalry was doing after the battle that would cause
      them fatigue- they were chasing after Jeb Stuart who was riding around
      Mac's army. Perhaps Stuart was trying to make up for his poor
      early-September performance?

      Stephen Recker
      Historical Humorist
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
        Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty much
        apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has been
        interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic wit can be
        more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of military
        realities.

        Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!

        Harry

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
          Dear Harry,

          How about both factors at work?

          What I find so interesting, especially in the AoP, is the
          mistrust of the West Pointers for the volunteer officers,
          particularly generals like Butterfield and Sickles, and the
          distrust of the volunteers (in general) for West Point trained
          officers.

          Recall the famous scene in THE movie where the private from the
          Second Maine is talking to Chamberlain???

          > Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty
          > much
          > apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has
          > been
          > interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic
          > wit can be
          > more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of
          > military
          > realities.
          >
          > Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!
          >
          > Harry

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
            Well, Gerry, that IS a movie.

            And I think there were other things about Butterfield and Sickles that West
            Pointers disliked aside from their alma maters.

            I think that distrust of amateurs by professionals is prevalent in any
            profession, be it the military, the law, medicine, accounting, plumbing,
            welding, you name it.

            Harry