RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: CWDG

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
      It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
      sorry, Steve!

      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007

        On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 09:43 PM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

        > It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
        > sorry, Steve!

        In the spirit of the season I will accept all of these kind words with
        gladness, and I will work on my material as well.

        Interesting about that Lincoln quote, and the cavalry of both sides
        after Antietam. Ethan Rafuse's "McClellan's War" makes a pretty decent
        case for what Mac's cavalry was doing after the battle that would cause
        them fatigue- they were chasing after Jeb Stuart who was riding around
        Mac's army. Perhaps Stuart was trying to make up for his poor
        early-September performance?

        Stephen Recker
        Historical Humorist
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
          Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty much
          apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has been
          interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic wit can be
          more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of military
          realities.

          Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!

          Harry

          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
            Dear Harry,

            How about both factors at work?

            What I find so interesting, especially in the AoP, is the
            mistrust of the West Pointers for the volunteer officers,
            particularly generals like Butterfield and Sickles, and the
            distrust of the volunteers (in general) for West Point trained
            officers.

            Recall the famous scene in THE movie where the private from the
            Second Maine is talking to Chamberlain???

            > Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty
            > much
            > apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has
            > been
            > interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic
            > wit can be
            > more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of
            > military
            > realities.
            >
            > Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!
            >
            > Harry

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
              Well, Gerry, that IS a movie.

              And I think there were other things about Butterfield and Sickles that West
              Pointers disliked aside from their alma maters.

              I think that distrust of amateurs by professionals is prevalent in any
              profession, be it the military, the law, medicine, accounting, plumbing,
              welding, you name it.

              Harry