Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CWDG

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
      Actually, my kind sir, I am the one who owes appologies. Had I paid more attention to the signature (yours) I would have known without hesitation that the comment was intended in jest. Please accept.

      As always, your obdient servant,

      Richard Croker
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
        It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
        sorry, Steve!

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007

          On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 09:43 PM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

          > It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
          > sorry, Steve!

          In the spirit of the season I will accept all of these kind words with
          gladness, and I will work on my material as well.

          Interesting about that Lincoln quote, and the cavalry of both sides
          after Antietam. Ethan Rafuse's "McClellan's War" makes a pretty decent
          case for what Mac's cavalry was doing after the battle that would cause
          them fatigue- they were chasing after Jeb Stuart who was riding around
          Mac's army. Perhaps Stuart was trying to make up for his poor
          early-September performance?

          Stephen Recker
          Historical Humorist
        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
            Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty much
            apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has been
            interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic wit can be
            more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of military
            realities.

            Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!

            Harry

            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
              Dear Harry,

              How about both factors at work?

              What I find so interesting, especially in the AoP, is the
              mistrust of the West Pointers for the volunteer officers,
              particularly generals like Butterfield and Sickles, and the
              distrust of the volunteers (in general) for West Point trained
              officers.

              Recall the famous scene in THE movie where the private from the
              Second Maine is talking to Chamberlain???

              > Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty
              > much
              > apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has
              > been
              > interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic
              > wit can be
              > more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of
              > military
              > realities.
              >
              > Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!
              >
              > Harry

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
                Well, Gerry, that IS a movie.

                And I think there were other things about Butterfield and Sickles that West
                Pointers disliked aside from their alma maters.

                I think that distrust of amateurs by professionals is prevalent in any
                profession, be it the military, the law, medicine, accounting, plumbing,
                welding, you name it.

                Harry