Re: [TalkAntietam] Interesting item on eBay web site item#1043814862: R.I. Stereoview Civil War Antietam Tom Thumb

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
      If nobody else has told yet, this is Old Simon, the statue in the National Cemetery.  Haven't seen this before, neat stereo!

      gwjchris@... wrote:

      Anyone know the whereabouts of the statue shown in the stereocard?

      Bill Christen

      Title of item:  R.I. Stereoview Civil War Antietam Tom Thumb
      Seller: jumpinjimbo
      Starts: Dec-04-01 16:50:43 PST
      Ends:   Dec-11-01 16:50:43 PST
      Price:  Currently $15.50
      To bid on the item, go to:      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1043814862

      Item Description:
              Very interesting stereograph taken in Batterson's Quarry in Westerly, R.I. depicting a granite statue of a Union soldier.  There is a sign of some kind at the base of the statue which is legible enough to make out the last portion which reads:  THE FALLEN HEROES OF ANTIETAM.  I have not researched it to find out if the statue became one of the 103 statues in Antietam National Park or if it was placed somewhere in New England.  The small couple in the left side of the picture appears to be the famous Tom Thumb and his wife.  I would doubt if it is them, but the couple leaning against the leg of the statue resembles Ulysses S. Grant and his wife. Hopefully, there is someone out there that knows something about this picture that will email me.  Info on the back states that the statue is 21 1/2 feet tall and weighs 30 tons.  The card measures 6 7/8 inches by 3 3/8 inches.  There are fly specks on the right photo.  Please review the photos and make up your own mind as to the sub!
      jects in the photo. Please include $2.50 for S & H.  Thank you.
      On Dec-05-01 at 18:56:21 PST, seller added the following information:
      Additional information on the back of the card states that the photograph was taken by SCHOFIELD, WESTERLY and that sculptor was JAMES W. POLLETT.

              Visit eBay, the world's largest Personal Trading Community at http://www.ebay.com

      Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
      Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
      Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!