Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CWDG

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
      I believe that Lincoln quotation regarded Antietam -- not Manassas II. In fact - I'd ALMOST bet the ranch.
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
        Yes, I know. I was making a joke. Apparently not a very funny one ;-)

        -sjr

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
          Actually, my kind sir, I am the one who owes appologies. Had I paid more attention to the signature (yours) I would have known without hesitation that the comment was intended in jest. Please accept.

          As always, your obdient servant,

          Richard Croker

          wrote:

          > I believe that Lincoln quotation regarded Antietam -- not Manassas II.
          > In fact - I'd ALMOST bet the ranch.

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
            It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
            sorry, Steve!

            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007

              On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 09:43 PM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

              > It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
              > sorry, Steve!

              In the spirit of the season I will accept all of these kind words with
              gladness, and I will work on my material as well.

              Interesting about that Lincoln quote, and the cavalry of both sides
              after Antietam. Ethan Rafuse's "McClellan's War" makes a pretty decent
              case for what Mac's cavalry was doing after the battle that would cause
              them fatigue- they were chasing after Jeb Stuart who was riding around
              Mac's army. Perhaps Stuart was trying to make up for his poor
              early-September performance?

              Stephen Recker
              Historical Humorist
            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
                Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty much
                apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has been
                interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic wit can be
                more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of military
                realities.

                Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!

                Harry

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
                  Dear Harry,

                  How about both factors at work?

                  What I find so interesting, especially in the AoP, is the
                  mistrust of the West Pointers for the volunteer officers,
                  particularly generals like Butterfield and Sickles, and the
                  distrust of the volunteers (in general) for West Point trained
                  officers.

                  Recall the famous scene in THE movie where the private from the
                  Second Maine is talking to Chamberlain???

                  > Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty
                  > much
                  > apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has
                  > been
                  > interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic
                  > wit can be
                  > more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of
                  > military
                  > realities.
                  >
                  > Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!
                  >
                  > Harry

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
                    Well, Gerry, that IS a movie.

                    And I think there were other things about Butterfield and Sickles that West
                    Pointers disliked aside from their alma maters.

                    I think that distrust of amateurs by professionals is prevalent in any
                    profession, be it the military, the law, medicine, accounting, plumbing,
                    welding, you name it.

                    Harry