RE: [TalkAntietam] CWDG

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
      Maybe he was just hung over (I know, teetotaler, but maybe it was a "fun"
      hangover)? His fatigue did not appear to affect his dancing or dining.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
        Dear Harry;

        Do not know how much of what Stuart did during the 2nd Manassas
        campaign might have impaired his performance during Maryland
        Campaign. However, it is true that Stuart neither drank hard
        spirits or smoked...due to his joining the Methodist Church fully
        after being confirmed en route to a General Conference of the
        Methodist Episcopal South in Virginia, IIRC, from St.
        Louis..where he was stationed at the time....

        IIRC this was 1859...which is why he was available to assist with
        the John Brown expedition commanded by none other than Marse
        Robt.

        > Maybe he was just hung over (I know, teetotaler, but maybe it
        > was a "fun"
        > hangover)? His fatigue did not appear to affect his dancing or
        > dining.
        >
        > Harry

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
          Gerry Mayers wrote:

          > Dear Harry;
          >
          > Do not know how much of what Stuart did during the 2nd Manassas
          > campaign might have impaired his performance during Maryland
          > Campaign. However, it is true that Stuart neither drank hard
          > spirits or smoked...due to his joining the Methodist Church fully
          > after being confirmed en route to a General Conference of the
          > Methodist Episcopal South in Virginia, IIRC, from St.
          > Louis..where he was stationed at the time....

          Stuart's temperance was a product of his mother insisting that all
          of her sons take an oath to never touch alcohol. Apparently, Stuart's
          father, Archibald Stuart, liked spirits and games of chance a little
          too much and Mrs. Stuart was determined her sons wouldn't end up like
          her husband. Stuart joined the Methodist Church while at Emory and
          Henry. That changed when he got to West Point where he became
          interested in the Episcopal Church. Flora Cooke Stuart was a dyed in
          the wool Episcopalian who encouraged her husband to join her church. In
          1859 he was asked to be a delegate to the Conference to which you
          referred. He couldn't rightfully be a delegate because he wasn't a
          member of the Episcopal Church. A situation he took care of as you
          stated in St. Louis. However, he wasn't stationed there; he was
          stationed at Ft. Riley, Kansas. He passed through St. Louis on his way
          to DC to get a patent on a sabre release he had invented which he sold
          to the War Dept for $5000.

          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
            Dear Teej;

            I somehow thought JEB remained Methodist all his life...but
            apparently his vow of temperance continued once he switched to
            the Episcopal Church.

            BTW I have learned a few months ago that many Episcopalian
            congregations in this country used the same Book of Common Prayer
            as was used for the United Church of England and Ireland....

            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
              All,

              From what I've read, Stuart was reknowned throughout his career as
              having superhuman endurance and stamina. I have not read anything
              showing that he was exhausted or sick during the Maryland Campaign--
              if anyone has some references showing this, pls let me know. As Harry
              points out, the famous Urbana Ball which lasted until dawn and
              included a mid-dance skirmish with some pesky Union Cavalry was well
              within Stuart's and apparently many of his staff's limits. He did
              have a light day after that ball, however.

              I enjoyed reading all three of Harsh's books; it is unfortunate that
              it is unlikely that he will complete his Maryland Campaign study from
              the Union perspective.

              Larry F.

              > Dear Teej;
              >
              > I somehow thought JEB remained Methodist all his life...but
              > apparently his vow of temperance continued once he switched to
              > the Episcopal Church.
              >
              > BTW I have learned a few months ago that many Episcopalian
              > congregations in this country used the same Book of Common Prayer
              > as was used for the United Church of England and Ireland....

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                Don't mention the Urbana shindig around Teej. The Tar Heels weren't
                invited.

                yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                wrote:

                > Dear Teej;
                >
                > I somehow thought JEB remained Methodist all his life...but
                > apparently his vow of temperance continued once he switched to
                > the Episcopal Church.
                >
                > BTW I have learned a few months ago that many Episcopalian
                > congregations in this country used the same Book of Common Prayer
                > as was used for the United Church of England and Ireland....

              • barringer63
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                  Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                  > Don't mention the Urbana shindig around Teej. The Tar Heels weren't
                  > invited.

                  They were invited....invited to stand guard while Stuart and his
                  fellow Vuhjinyans partied down. As for the skirmish during the ball, by
                  the time Stuart decided to see what all the fuss outside was about,
                  Barringer and his Tar Heels had driven off the Yankee cavalry. Once
                  Stuart was assured all was again well, he went back to his N.Y. Reb and
                  Barringer and company went back on pickett duty w/o so much as a "thank
                  you" cup of punch.

                  Teej

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                    See, Larry? Do you see what happens when you mention that ball around Teej?
                    Do you see what happens, Larry?

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                      Harry;

                      LOL. Teej took it well..but she did point out something
                      important.....

                      It was the TarHeels who drove the pesky Yankees away, NOT Stuart
                      & Co.

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                        And people wonder where Jeb was before Gettysburg. Might he have taken an excursion to Urbana for a visit with the New York Rebel?

                        I'm just kidding guys!! Don't shoot me!

                      • richard@rcroker.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                          We must all remember that both sides had professional propoganda machines that would make today's spin rooms blush. I for one don't buy into the tee totaling, tobacco free and forever faithful JEB Stuart. It just doesn't match his personality. Okay -- THIS time you can shoot me. Have fun

                          > Maybe he was just hung over (I know, teetotaler, but maybe it
                          > was a "fun"
                          > hangover)? His fatigue did not appear to affect his dancing or
                          > dining.
                          >
                          > Harry

                        • Harry Smeltzer
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                            Based on his performance in Maryland in 1862, I don't see how Stuart's
                            presence with the AoNV in Pennsylvania would have made much of a difference.

                            Seriously.

                            Harry

                            And people wonder where Jeb was before Gettysburg. Might he have taken an
                            excursion to Urbana for a visit with the New York Rebel?

                            I'm just kidding guys!! Don't shoot me!

                            > Do not know how much of what Stuart did during the 2nd Manassas
                            > campaign might have impaired his performance during Maryland
                            > Campaign. However, it is true that Stuart neither drank hard
                            > spirits or smoked...due to his joining the Methodist Church
                            > fully
                            > after being confirmed en route to a General Conference of the
                            > Methodist Episcopal South in Virginia, IIRC, from St.
                            > Louis..where he was stationed at the time....

                            Stuart's temperance was a product of his mother insisting that
                            all
                            of her sons take an oath to never touch alcohol. Apparently,
                            Stuart's
                            father, Archibald Stuart, liked spirits and games of chance a
                            little
                            too much and Mrs. Stuart was determined her sons wouldn't end up
                            like
                            her husband. Stuart joined the Methodist Church while at Emory
                            and
                            Henry. That changed when he got to West Point where he became
                            interested in the Episcopal Church. Flora Cooke Stuart was a dyed
                            in
                            the wool Episcopalian who encouraged her husband to join her
                            church. In
                            1859 he was asked to be a delegate to the Conference to which you
                            referred. He couldn't rightfully be a delegate because he wasn't
                            member of the Episcopal Church. A situation he took care of as
                            you
                            stated in St. Louis. However, he wasn't stationed there; he was
                            stationed at Ft. Riley, Kansas. He passed through St. Louis on
                            his way
                            to DC to get a patent on a sabre release he had invented which he
                            sold
                            to the War Dept for $5000.

                            > Teej

                          • barringer63
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                              Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                              > Based on his performance in Maryland in 1862, I don't see how Stuart's
                              > presence with the AoNV in Pennsylvania would have made much of a
                              difference.

                              > Seriously.

                              Not for the same reason as yours, of course, but it may surprise you
                              to know that H.B. McClellan agreed with you somewhat. He wrote that
                              even if Stuart had been able to communicate with Lee after the 30th, it
                              was doubtful that it would have made any difference in the outcome of
                              the battle of Gettysburg.

                              Teej
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                Would you mind telling me what his horses had done since the Battle of
                                Second Mannassas that would fatigue ANYTHING?

                                (Apologies to A. Lincoln)

                                Stephen

                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                  Now take Wade Hampton--there's a cavalry general!

                                  LHF

                                  > Would you mind telling me what his horses had done since the Battle
                                  of
                                  > Second Mannassas that would fatigue ANYTHING?
                                  >
                                  > (Apologies to A. Lincoln)
                                  >
                                  > Stephen
                                  >
                                  > On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 11:13 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > but I wonder if he was suffering from battle fatigue
                                  > > from the strenuous demands of the just completed 2nd Manassas
                                  > > campaign against Pope?

                                • barringer63
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                    Stephen Recker wrote:

                                    > Would you mind telling me what his horses had done since the Battle
                                    of
                                    > Second Mannassas that would fatigue ANYTHING?

                                    As I recall, Stuart spent most of his time from 2nd Manassas until
                                    crossing the Potomac to kick off the Antietam Campaign riding herd on
                                    Bev Robertson. Now, while that wouldn't necessarily have been
                                    physically challenging, if you know anything about Robertson, you can
                                    well imagine how mentally and emotionally draining that must have
                                    been. :-)

                                    Teej

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                      Dear Stephen,

                                      If you have read Harsh's Confederate Tide Rising, IIRC, there is
                                      a discussion there about Stuart's involvement in that campaign as
                                      well as the Ox Hill battle. That might help answer your question,
                                      with apologies to Mr Lincoln.

                                      > Would you mind telling me what his horses had done since the
                                      > Battle of
                                      > Second Mannassas that would fatigue ANYTHING?
                                      >
                                      > (Apologies to A. Lincoln)
                                      >
                                      > Stephen
                                      >
                                      > On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 11:13 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> but I wonder if he was suffering from battle fatigue
                                      >> from the strenuous demands of the just completed 2nd Manassas
                                      >> campaign against Pope?

                                    • barringer63
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                        Gerry Mayers wrote:

                                        > Dear Stephen,
                                        >
                                        > If you have read Harsh's Confederate Tide Rising, IIRC, there is
                                        > a discussion there about Stuart's involvement in that campaign as
                                        > well as the Ox Hill battle. That might help answer your question,
                                        > with apologies to Mr Lincoln.

                                        David Welker, author of "Tempest at Ox Hill: The Battle of
                                        Chantilly" wrote that if Lee hadn't been distracted by more important
                                        battles like 2nd Manassas and Antietam, it's very likely Stuart would
                                        have been brought up on charges of "dereliction of duty" for his
                                        abysmal performance at Ox Hill. Personally, I'm surprised Jackson
                                        didn't have Stuart shot.

                                        Teej

                                      • richard@rcroker.com
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                          I believe that Lincoln quotation regarded Antietam -- not Manassas II. In fact - I'd ALMOST bet the ranch.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                            Yes, I know. I was making a joke. Apparently not a very funny one ;-)

                                            -sjr

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                              Actually, my kind sir, I am the one who owes appologies. Had I paid more attention to the signature (yours) I would have known without hesitation that the comment was intended in jest. Please accept.

                                              As always, your obdient servant,

                                              Richard Croker

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007
                                                It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
                                                sorry, Steve!

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 20, 2007

                                                  On Thursday, December 20, 2007, at 09:43 PM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                                                  > It also regarded McClellan and not Lee.wow, we can really KILL a joke -
                                                  > sorry, Steve!

                                                  In the spirit of the season I will accept all of these kind words with
                                                  gladness, and I will work on my material as well.

                                                  Interesting about that Lincoln quote, and the cavalry of both sides
                                                  after Antietam. Ethan Rafuse's "McClellan's War" makes a pretty decent
                                                  case for what Mac's cavalry was doing after the battle that would cause
                                                  them fatigue- they were chasing after Jeb Stuart who was riding around
                                                  Mac's army. Perhaps Stuart was trying to make up for his poor
                                                  early-September performance?

                                                  Stephen Recker
                                                  Historical Humorist
                                                • Harry Smeltzer
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
                                                    Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty much
                                                    apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has been
                                                    interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic wit can be
                                                    more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of military
                                                    realities.

                                                    Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!

                                                    Harry

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
                                                      Dear Harry,

                                                      How about both factors at work?

                                                      What I find so interesting, especially in the AoP, is the
                                                      mistrust of the West Pointers for the volunteer officers,
                                                      particularly generals like Butterfield and Sickles, and the
                                                      distrust of the volunteers (in general) for West Point trained
                                                      officers.

                                                      Recall the famous scene in THE movie where the private from the
                                                      Second Maine is talking to Chamberlain???

                                                      > Though it seldom gets mentioned, Lincoln backed down and pretty
                                                      > much
                                                      > apologized to McClellan for that letter. Sometimes what has
                                                      > been
                                                      > interpreted as examples of Lincoln's deep insight and acerbic
                                                      > wit can be
                                                      > more accurately described as a serious lack of understanding of
                                                      > military
                                                      > realities.
                                                      >
                                                      > Don't tell Doris I said that - she'll send a hit squad!
                                                      >
                                                      > Harry

                                                    • Harry Smeltzer
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 21, 2007
                                                        Well, Gerry, that IS a movie.

                                                        And I think there were other things about Butterfield and Sickles that West
                                                        Pointers disliked aside from their alma maters.

                                                        I think that distrust of amateurs by professionals is prevalent in any
                                                        profession, be it the military, the law, medicine, accounting, plumbing,
                                                        welding, you name it.

                                                        Harry