Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 13 September 1862 Maryland Heights

    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 20, 2007
      Larry,
      Just as a general word of caution and advice, do not take Carman's Order of Battle, or those based on his work, as gospel from the beginning of the campaign to end. His interest, and his rosters, apply to Antietam and reflect Sept. 17, not much else. His OOB for the 17th suggests McClellan had a lot of cavalry, but much of it joined him after marching from Washington, some as late as the 17th. In fact, my memory is that Lee had more cavalry than McClellan until the 17th of Sept. when some of the units escaping from Harpers Ferry joined the AoP. That disparity will have an impact on effectiveness of scouting and intelligence gathering.
      You probably already knew this, but just in case you didn't...

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 12/19/07 4:11 PM >>>
      I agree that neither side's cavalry did a great job scouting but I'm
      going to have to do more research with Carman and other sources as I
      work on my next paper before I can comment re which side had a better
      idea of the proximity of the other. Off the top of my head, part of
      that answer would depend on which day of the campaign is under
      discussion. Perhaps early on the ANV had a better idea but on/after
      13 Sept. the AOP may have known more.

      I will look carefully at what all the sources I can find say and
      write up my findings giving my opinion of the performance of the
      cavalry on both sides vis-a-vis what they did, what they could/should
      have done, and the effect their performances had on their commanders
      (and of course vice-versa).

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
      wrote:

      > I'd say that's damning him with slight praise.
      >
      > And even so, ultimately the AotP had a better idea of the proximity
      of the
      > AoNV than vice versa.
      >
      > Harry

      Campaign
      > but better than Pleasanton's IMO as I argued in my paper on AotW.
      >
      > Larry F.

      > yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I think Stuart screwed the pooch in this campaign, and the only
      > thing that
      > > saved his rep was some good fighting on the 17th - which he
      > promptly offset
      > > by firing that damn howitzer again!
      > >
      > > Harry

      Hampton's

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 20, 2007
        Jake,

        Thank you very much for this offer and I may take you up on it! And
        thank you again for the e-mails about your book. This will give me a
        great head start on my paper.

        I have read that D.H. Hill did not write much about Antietam except
        what he did for B&L so I guess there is no use to get anything else
        by/about him? Obviously unpublished letters, etc., you mentioned
        might have some good stuff about his experiences with Stuart and R.E.
        Lee.

        Larry F.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
        <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

        > Cool. If it turns out there's something in a manuscript collection
        in Richmond (MoC, Lib Va, VHS) you need pulled, let me know and I'll
        be happy to get it for you.

        > ---jgp

        regarding