RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: 13 September 1862 Maryland Heights

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 19, 2007
      Larry,

      Hmm.looks like that link doesn't take you all the way to the discussion.
      Try this:

      Click
      <http://cwdgonline.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=101&start=0&
      file=viewtopic&t=101&start=0> this

      If that doesn't work, click on the link I gave you earlier.once you get to
      the forums, click on the 1862 Maryland Campaign button, then look for Stuart
      in the Maryland Campaign thread.

      Harry

      From: TalkAntietam@ <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 20, 2007
        Larry,
        Just as a general word of caution and advice, do not take Carman's Order of Battle, or those based on his work, as gospel from the beginning of the campaign to end. His interest, and his rosters, apply to Antietam and reflect Sept. 17, not much else. His OOB for the 17th suggests McClellan had a lot of cavalry, but much of it joined him after marching from Washington, some as late as the 17th. In fact, my memory is that Lee had more cavalry than McClellan until the 17th of Sept. when some of the units escaping from Harpers Ferry joined the AoP. That disparity will have an impact on effectiveness of scouting and intelligence gathering.
        You probably already knew this, but just in case you didn't...

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 20, 2007
          Jake,

          Thank you very much for this offer and I may take you up on it! And
          thank you again for the e-mails about your book. This will give me a
          great head start on my paper.

          I have read that D.H. Hill did not write much about Antietam except
          what he did for B&L so I guess there is no use to get anything else
          by/about him? Obviously unpublished letters, etc., you mentioned
          might have some good stuff about his experiences with Stuart and R.E.
          Lee.

          Larry F.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
          <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

          > Cool. If it turns out there's something in a manuscript collection
          in Richmond (MoC, Lib Va, VHS) you need pulled, let me know and I'll
          be happy to get it for you.

          > ---jgp

          regarding