RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: 13 September 1862 Maryland Heights

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 19, 2007
      I'd say that's damning him with slight praise.

      And even so, ultimately the AotP had a better idea of the proximity of the
      AoNV than vice versa.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 19, 2007
        I agree that neither side's cavalry did a great job scouting but I'm
        going to have to do more research with Carman and other sources as I
        work on my next paper before I can comment re which side had a better
        idea of the proximity of the other. Off the top of my head, part of
        that answer would depend on which day of the campaign is under
        discussion. Perhaps early on the ANV had a better idea but on/after
        13 Sept. the AOP may have known more.

        I will look carefully at what all the sources I can find say and
        write up my findings giving my opinion of the performance of the
        cavalry on both sides vis-a-vis what they did, what they could/should
        have done, and the effect their performances had on their commanders
        (and of course vice-versa).

        Larry F.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
        wrote:

        > I'd say that's damning him with slight praise.
        >
        > And even so, ultimately the AotP had a better idea of the proximity
        of the
        > AoNV than vice versa.
        >
        > Harry

      • Joseph Pierro
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 19, 2007
          Larry:

          You mentioned offline that you were looking for possible new sources (or at least ones that hadn't been quoted to death) regarding cavalry in the camapign.

          I don't know where you're located, but the Lib of Va has a remarkable (and relatively little used) collection of D. H. Hill's papers. Knowing Hill's inability to keep silent on nearly ANY issue, I wonder if there's anything in his private correspondence about Stuart's leaving him to twist in the wind at So. Mtn. (Carman, interestingly enough, largely gives Stuart a pass on the whole afffair.) Hill's always good for color. (His private comments about Roswell Ripley at So. Mtn. are priceless.)

          There's a finding aid for the collection, but I'd start by giving a glance at the old Hal Bridges bio (Lee's Maverick General). Bridges made good use of the Lib of Va collection, and his citations should be able to direct you to anything worth examining.

          --jake

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 19, 2007
            Jake,

            I ordered Bridge's book and will plan to check it for Hill's remarks.

            Thank you,
            Larry F.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
            <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

            > Larry:
            >
            > You mentioned offline that you were looking for possible new
            sources (or at least ones that hadn't been quoted to death) regarding
            cavalry in the camapign.

            > I don't know where you're located, but the Lib of Va has a
            remarkable (and relatively little used) collection of D. H. Hill's
            papers. Knowing Hill's inability to keep silent on nearly ANY issue,
            I wonder if there's anything in his private correspondence about
            Stuart's leaving him to twist in the wind at So. Mtn. (Carman,
            interestingly enough, largely gives Stuart a pass on the whole
            afffair.) Hill's always good for color. (His private comments about
            Roswell Ripley at So. Mtn. are priceless.)

            > There's a finding aid for the collection, but I'd start by giving a
            glance at the old Hal Bridges bio (Lee's Maverick General). Bridges
            made good use of the Lib of Va collection, and his citations should
            be able to direct you to anything worth examining.

            > --jake

          • Joseph Pierro
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 19, 2007
              Cool. If it turns out there's something in a manuscript collection in Richmond (MoC, Lib Va, VHS) you need pulled, let me know and I'll be happy to get it for you.

              ---jgp

              <joseph_pierro@ ...> wrote:

              > Larry:
              >
              > You mentioned offline that you were looking for possible new
              sources (or at least ones that hadn't been quoted to death) regarding
              cavalry in the camapign.

              > I don't know where you're located, but the Lib of Va has a
              remarkable (and relatively little used) collection of D. H. Hill's
              papers. Knowing Hill's inability to keep silent on nearly ANY issue,
              I wonder if there's anything in his private correspondence about
              Stuart's leaving him to twist in the wind at So. Mtn. (Carman,
              interestingly enough, largely gives Stuart a pass on the whole
              afffair.) Hill's always good for color. (His private comments about
              Roswell Ripley at So. Mtn. are priceless.)

              > There's a finding aid for the collection, but I'd start by giving a
              glance at the old Hal Bridges bio (Lee's Maverick General). Bridges
              made good use of the Lib of Va collection, and his citations should
              be able to direct you to anything worth examining.

              > --jake

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 19, 2007
                I think that Lee lost the initiative in the campaign, as Harsh says, with
                the implementation of SO 191. I agree with his scenario that Lee was
                unaware of the proximity, disposition, and speed of movement of the AotP
                prior to the implementation, and that information should have been provided
                him by Stuart. But it wasn't. IIRC, at one point Stuart advised Lee that
                he expected Federal cavalry in Frederick in about a day or so, and the next
                day the vanguard of the INFANTRY entered the town.

                Maryland 1862 was far from a shining moment for JEB. Check out this
                discussion, since it will save me having to lay all of Harsh's work out
                again:

                http://cwdgonline.org/modules.php?name=Forums
                <http://cwdgonline.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=101&start=0>
                &file=viewtopic&t=101&start=0

                Harry

                wrote:

                > I'd say that's damning him with slight praise.
                >
                > And even so, ultimately the AotP had a better idea of the proximity
                of the
                > AoNV than vice versa.
                >
                > Harry

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Larry,

                  Hmm.looks like that link doesn't take you all the way to the discussion.
                  Try this:

                  Click
                  <http://cwdgonline.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=101&start=0&
                  file=viewtopic&t=101&start=0> this

                  If that doesn't work, click on the link I gave you earlier.once you get to
                  the forums, click on the 1862 Maryland Campaign button, then look for Stuart
                  in the Maryland Campaign thread.

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 20, 2007
                    Larry,
                    Just as a general word of caution and advice, do not take Carman's Order of Battle, or those based on his work, as gospel from the beginning of the campaign to end. His interest, and his rosters, apply to Antietam and reflect Sept. 17, not much else. His OOB for the 17th suggests McClellan had a lot of cavalry, but much of it joined him after marching from Washington, some as late as the 17th. In fact, my memory is that Lee had more cavalry than McClellan until the 17th of Sept. when some of the units escaping from Harpers Ferry joined the AoP. That disparity will have an impact on effectiveness of scouting and intelligence gathering.
                    You probably already knew this, but just in case you didn't...

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 20, 2007
                      Jake,

                      Thank you very much for this offer and I may take you up on it! And
                      thank you again for the e-mails about your book. This will give me a
                      great head start on my paper.

                      I have read that D.H. Hill did not write much about Antietam except
                      what he did for B&L so I guess there is no use to get anything else
                      by/about him? Obviously unpublished letters, etc., you mentioned
                      might have some good stuff about his experiences with Stuart and R.E.
                      Lee.