Stone arch bridges highlighted

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2007
      From today's Hagerstown-Mail:
      The Hagerstown-Washington County Convention and Visitors Bureau has produced a new brochure called "Bridges of Washington County Maryland." It showcases 21 historic stone arch structures that span Conococheague Creek and Antietam Creek, and its tributaries.
      Washington County is unique in Maryland, because nowhere else can one find so many early- to mid- 19th-century limestone arch bridges, along with several stone arch aqueducts along the C&O Canal.

      The brochure has current photographs of each bridge done by Francomano, an accurate background of each bridge, as well as a few historical photographs, and two maps that show the location of each bridge. Some have notations that the bridge is on private land and may not be visited without permission from the owner; the bridges that have county picnic areas are also indicated.
      Full story is online at:
      http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=180840&format=html
      FYI...I called the Vistors Bureau and requested that they mail me a free copy.

    • T.R.Livesey
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2007

        Sounds like a great resource.

        Here is an on-line version of a wonderful historic book from 1910 "The Antietam and its Bridges"

        http://books.google.com/books?id=M8YLAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=antietam&lr=&as_brr=1

        T.R. Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        On Wed Dec 12 10:34 , RoteBaron@... sent:

      • RoteBaron@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2007
          To order the free brochure, call the Visitors' Bureau at 888-257-2600.

          From: T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...>
          Tom,

          Sounds like a great resource.

          Here is an on-line version of a wonderful historic book from 1910 "The Antietam and its Bridges"

          http://books.google.com/books?id=M8YLAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=antietam&lr=&as_brr=1

          T.R. Livesey
          tlivesey@...

          Recent Activity