Re: [TalkAntietam] Confederates returning to Antietam

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
      Jake,
      I think it was in August 1864 after Monocacy and Jube was raiding flour
      mills in the Antietam valley. he had Hotchkiss take him around the
      field. I like th think of Jube as Antietam's first offical visitor and
      Hotchkiss as the original tour guide. As you know, Hotchkiss was a
      member of the Antietam Battlefield Board.

      Hey Steve, maybe we should make Hotchkiss the symbol for the Guides
      Service? Call ourselves the disciples of Jed??? :-)
      Tom Clemens

      >>> Joseph Pierro <joseph_pierro@...> 11/20/2007 5:10 PM >>>
      Going through some manuscript collections here in Richmond some time
      past I came across an account (and off the top of my head, I can't
      remember if it was from '63, during the Gettysburg campaign, or from
      '64, during the Monocacy campaign) of a short tour Jubal Early conducted
      for some of his junior officers as his men were camped near the old
      battlefield of Antietam.

      Is anyone else aware of other accounts by Confederates of revisiting
      the battlefield at Antietam at later points during the war (as opposed
      to simple mentions of marching through or being camped near the town of
      Sharpsburg)?

      Happy Thanksgiving to all (and safe travels)!

      ---jake