Re: [TalkAntietam] Trip Report from November 23, 2007

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 25, 2007
      Tom Shay et al,
      I got involved in some Homeowner-type projects on Friday and never got
      over to the battlefield, to my regret. It sounds liek you had a good
      day, and yes, it was cold and windy!
      On the Final Attack Trail and the Union approach trail the tree-cutting
      and brush clearing have been the focus of the last several Save Historic
      Antietam Foundation Work Days. We cut a lot of the trees along the Otto
      Farm lane and the cleared area at the top of the ridge where the Parrott
      rifle represents Durell's battery. The Natural Resources staff there
      are great and do a lot of work in addition to what we do, but our Work
      Days always make a big difference. On Nov. 10 we cut about 125 yards of
      trees that obscured the view from the Visitr's Center to French's
      attack. If you ever have the time, come join us for a day of scene
      restoration.
      On Dec. 8 there is an opportunity, weather permitting, to plant 176
      apple trees in the next phase of the Piper Orchard restoration. Contact
      me of the NPS staff ofr details and to let us know you're coming.
      TheSHAF website has more information, "shaf.org " Our next scheduled
      Work Day is tentatively set for April 5, again weather permitting. Come
      help make a difference in restoring America's best preserved
      battlefield.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 25, 2007

        We missed you...and Boomer. We certainly did notice the tree cuts along
        the Otto Lane, and SHAF was given credit on the ground. It really makes
        a big difference. Thanks for the hard work up there.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007
          Steve,
          Bomber and I walked the Final Attack Trail yesterday and I see even
          more trees cut since last week. Joe Calzarette and the guys at Natural
          Resources Management are doing a wonderful job.

          Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

          >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 11/25/2007 1:26 PM

          Tom,

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007

            April 5 also looks like the CWPT workday; does that make any
            difference?

            I have a hardbound copy of your doctoral thesis on the way--I look
            forward to reading it.

            Larry F.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007
              Damn, yes it does. We usually pick a different day since they so fairly
              mundane little projects. Thanks for letting me know.

              >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 11/26/2007 2:22 PM

              Tom,