Re: [TalkAntietam] Trip Report from November 23, 2007

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 24, 2007
      Thanks for all of the kind words. It was a great day. Tom Shay, as
      usual, showed up with a lot of talent and a lot of great maps. Karl
      Fauser had a huge article printed for me and everyone else had
      enthusiasm and great stories. It was really a lot of fun. Let's do it
      again.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 24, 2007
        Dear Tom and Stephen,

        If I could have been able to join you yesterday, I would have!
        But the combination of no available vehicle and watching our 8
        mos old granddaughter, it was not in the cards this year.

        Maybe we can do this again on a Saturday when the weather is a
        little warmer and when the trees are just beginning to turn green
        but not too much!

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 25, 2007
            Tom Shay et al,
            I got involved in some Homeowner-type projects on Friday and never got
            over to the battlefield, to my regret. It sounds liek you had a good
            day, and yes, it was cold and windy!
            On the Final Attack Trail and the Union approach trail the tree-cutting
            and brush clearing have been the focus of the last several Save Historic
            Antietam Foundation Work Days. We cut a lot of the trees along the Otto
            Farm lane and the cleared area at the top of the ridge where the Parrott
            rifle represents Durell's battery. The Natural Resources staff there
            are great and do a lot of work in addition to what we do, but our Work
            Days always make a big difference. On Nov. 10 we cut about 125 yards of
            trees that obscured the view from the Visitr's Center to French's
            attack. If you ever have the time, come join us for a day of scene
            restoration.
            On Dec. 8 there is an opportunity, weather permitting, to plant 176
            apple trees in the next phase of the Piper Orchard restoration. Contact
            me of the NPS staff ofr details and to let us know you're coming.
            TheSHAF website has more information, "shaf.org " Our next scheduled
            Work Day is tentatively set for April 5, again weather permitting. Come
            help make a difference in restoring America's best preserved
            battlefield.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 25, 2007

              We missed you...and Boomer. We certainly did notice the tree cuts along
              the Otto Lane, and SHAF was given credit on the ground. It really makes
              a big difference. Thanks for the hard work up there.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007
                Steve,
                Bomber and I walked the Final Attack Trail yesterday and I see even
                more trees cut since last week. Joe Calzarette and the guys at Natural
                Resources Management are doing a wonderful job.

                Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 11/25/2007 1:26 PM

                Tom,

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007

                  April 5 also looks like the CWPT workday; does that make any
                  difference?

                  I have a hardbound copy of your doctoral thesis on the way--I look
                  forward to reading it.

                  Larry F.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007
                    Damn, yes it does. We usually pick a different day since they so fairly
                    mundane little projects. Thanks for letting me know.

                    >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 11/26/2007 2:22 PM

                    Tom,