Re: [TalkAntietam] Long Range Guns

  • bdowney@aotw.org
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
      Hi Stephen,
      You've had some good answers already.

      I did a little digging at the battery level in the Federal Fifth (V)
      and Ninth (IX) Corps for 17 September. Most of my data is as
      collated by Johnson and Anderson (Artillery Hell, 1995) with
      occasional updates from other sources. Locations are per Carman's
      maps (Atlas of the Battlefield of Antietam - online at the LoC).

      The bulk of the long range pieces along the ridge east of the
      Antietam opposite Sharpsburg were of the V Corps Artillery Reserve.
      Others of the V Corps Divisional artillery were also present and had
      range and sight of much of the the battlefield north of the town,
      particularly the plateau just east of the Dunkard Church - as you
      know, a key spot on the battlefield occupied by considerable
      Confederate artillery early in the day.

      Some of the artillery of the IX Corps in the vicinity of the Lower
      Bridge could also reach Confederate artillery positions, notably
      concentrations on the high ground south of Sharpsburg and on Cemetery
      Hill east of the town.

      Other Federal artillery units were also placed, at least for part of
      the day on the 17th, east of the creek, but were not significantly
      deployed or engaged from there. These would include guns of the
      Second and Sixth Corps, and Pleasonton's Horse artillery (soon
      ordered across the creek). I have not included them here.

      The real heavy hitters, as shown on several of Carman's maps, were
      batteries of V Corps deployed along the crest of the ridge
      immediately east of the creek on either side of the Boonsboro Pike as
      it crosses the Middle Bridge. They were -- from north to south --
      Wever, Lagner, Martin, Hazlett, Waterman, and Kusserow north of the
      bridge, and Von Kleiser, Weed, and Taft to the south. Also south of
      the pike, but further removed to the east and effectively out of
      action were the remaining V Corps batteries of Randol, Weed, and Van
      Reed.

      Among these V Corps units were 16 big 20-pounder Parrots, and another
      8 rifled guns: 10-pounder Parrots and 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. A total
      of 24 guns I'd characterize as long-range. Mixed in were 36 various
      smoothbores (Napoleons, mostly).

      Continuing along the creek from where we left off were the IX Corps
      batteries of Clark and Simmonds. At least during the morning, the
      batteries of Durell, Cook, Benjamin, Muhlenberg, Roemer, and McMullen
      completed the line of Federal artillery roughly following the east
      bank of the Antietam.

      Simmonds and Benjamin between them boasted the other 6 20-pound
      Parrots at Antietam. Also in the IX Corps were 33 smaller rifled
      guns for a total of 39 long range pieces. The infantry was also
      supported by about 15 smoothbores.

      For what it's worth, then, I count about 63 long range guns east of
      the creek til at least 1pm. Certainly, not all were engaged or had
      targets all day, so you can make of the count what you will.

      Apples and oranges, by battery, are shown below:

      Battery Guns Number

      V Corps Arty Reserve - ridgeline vcty Middle Bridge

      Wever (1st Bn NY Light, Btty A) 20lb Parrott 4
      von Kleiser (1st Bn NY Light, Btty B) 20lb Parrott 4
      Langner (1st Bn NY Light, Btty C) 20lb Parrott 4
      Kusserow (1st Bn NY Light, Btty D) 32lb Hwzr 6
      Graham (1st US, Btty K) Napoleon 4
      Miller (4th US, Btty G) Napoleon 6
      Taft (NY Light, 5th Btty) 20lb Parrott 4

      2nd Div, V Corps Arty - south of Middle Bridge
      Randol (1st US, Btty E&G) Napoleon 4
      Weed (5th US, Btty I) 3in Ord Rifle 4
      VanReed (5th US, Btty K) - crossed w/Regulars Napoleon 4

      1st Div, V Corps Arty (any cross Antietam?)
      Waterman (1st RI Light, Btty C) Napoleon 6
      Hazlett (5th US, Btty D) w/Corps Resv Arty Napoleon 2, 10lb Parrott
      4
      Martin (MA Light, Btty C) Napoleon 4

      ________________
      totals V Corps, East of Antietam

      20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 16
      10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles (rifled) 8
      __
      ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 24

      Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 36
      __
      ..... total, V Corps pieces 60

      IX Corps - near Lower Bridge (some Bttys crossed PM)

      Edwards (3rd US, Btty L&M) 10lb Parrott 4
      Roemer (2nd NY, Btty L) 3in Ord Rifle 6

      1st Div, IX Corps
      Benjamin (2nd US, Btty E) 20lb Parrott 4
      Cook (MA Lt, 8th Btty) 12lb James 4, 12lb Hwzr 2

      2nd Div, IX Corps
      Clark (4th US, Btty E) 10lb Parrott 4
      Durell (PA Lt, Btty D) 10lb Parrott 6

      3rd Div, IX Corps
      Whiting (9 NY Inf, Co K) Naval Hwzr 6
      Muhlenberg (5th US, Btty A) Napoleon 6

      Kanawha Division, IX Corps
      McMullin (OH Lt, 1st Btty) 14lb James 6
      Simmonds (KY Lt, Simmond's) 20lb Parrott 2, 10lb Parrott 3, 12lb
      Hwzr 1
      ________________
      totals IX Corps, East of Antietam (1/2 day)

      20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 6
      10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles, James (rifled) 33
      __
      ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 39

      Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 15
      __
      ..... total, IX Corps pieces 54

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
        Thanks. You guys are amazing. I'll print this all out and try to digest
        it.

        Cheers,
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
          The tour went fine. The two young girls were very bright and easy to
          engage. And we didn't even need to drop mom at the outlet mall! Thanks
          for the input.