Re: Young Guns

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007

      > The outlet mall, IIRC, is in Hagerstown, not close to Sharpsburg.

      I didn't do more than pull in to drop off/pick up. IIRC, the mall was
      just off the interstate and a short drive to the NBP.
    • bdowney@aotw.org
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
        Hi Stephen,
        You've had some good answers already.

        I did a little digging at the battery level in the Federal Fifth (V)
        and Ninth (IX) Corps for 17 September. Most of my data is as
        collated by Johnson and Anderson (Artillery Hell, 1995) with
        occasional updates from other sources. Locations are per Carman's
        maps (Atlas of the Battlefield of Antietam - online at the LoC).

        The bulk of the long range pieces along the ridge east of the
        Antietam opposite Sharpsburg were of the V Corps Artillery Reserve.
        Others of the V Corps Divisional artillery were also present and had
        range and sight of much of the the battlefield north of the town,
        particularly the plateau just east of the Dunkard Church - as you
        know, a key spot on the battlefield occupied by considerable
        Confederate artillery early in the day.

        Some of the artillery of the IX Corps in the vicinity of the Lower
        Bridge could also reach Confederate artillery positions, notably
        concentrations on the high ground south of Sharpsburg and on Cemetery
        Hill east of the town.

        Other Federal artillery units were also placed, at least for part of
        the day on the 17th, east of the creek, but were not significantly
        deployed or engaged from there. These would include guns of the
        Second and Sixth Corps, and Pleasonton's Horse artillery (soon
        ordered across the creek). I have not included them here.

        The real heavy hitters, as shown on several of Carman's maps, were
        batteries of V Corps deployed along the crest of the ridge
        immediately east of the creek on either side of the Boonsboro Pike as
        it crosses the Middle Bridge. They were -- from north to south --
        Wever, Lagner, Martin, Hazlett, Waterman, and Kusserow north of the
        bridge, and Von Kleiser, Weed, and Taft to the south. Also south of
        the pike, but further removed to the east and effectively out of
        action were the remaining V Corps batteries of Randol, Weed, and Van
        Reed.

        Among these V Corps units were 16 big 20-pounder Parrots, and another
        8 rifled guns: 10-pounder Parrots and 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. A total
        of 24 guns I'd characterize as long-range. Mixed in were 36 various
        smoothbores (Napoleons, mostly).

        Continuing along the creek from where we left off were the IX Corps
        batteries of Clark and Simmonds. At least during the morning, the
        batteries of Durell, Cook, Benjamin, Muhlenberg, Roemer, and McMullen
        completed the line of Federal artillery roughly following the east
        bank of the Antietam.

        Simmonds and Benjamin between them boasted the other 6 20-pound
        Parrots at Antietam. Also in the IX Corps were 33 smaller rifled
        guns for a total of 39 long range pieces. The infantry was also
        supported by about 15 smoothbores.

        For what it's worth, then, I count about 63 long range guns east of
        the creek til at least 1pm. Certainly, not all were engaged or had
        targets all day, so you can make of the count what you will.

        Apples and oranges, by battery, are shown below:

        Battery Guns Number

        V Corps Arty Reserve - ridgeline vcty Middle Bridge

        Wever (1st Bn NY Light, Btty A) 20lb Parrott 4
        von Kleiser (1st Bn NY Light, Btty B) 20lb Parrott 4
        Langner (1st Bn NY Light, Btty C) 20lb Parrott 4
        Kusserow (1st Bn NY Light, Btty D) 32lb Hwzr 6
        Graham (1st US, Btty K) Napoleon 4
        Miller (4th US, Btty G) Napoleon 6
        Taft (NY Light, 5th Btty) 20lb Parrott 4

        2nd Div, V Corps Arty - south of Middle Bridge
        Randol (1st US, Btty E&G) Napoleon 4
        Weed (5th US, Btty I) 3in Ord Rifle 4
        VanReed (5th US, Btty K) - crossed w/Regulars Napoleon 4

        1st Div, V Corps Arty (any cross Antietam?)
        Waterman (1st RI Light, Btty C) Napoleon 6
        Hazlett (5th US, Btty D) w/Corps Resv Arty Napoleon 2, 10lb Parrott
        4
        Martin (MA Light, Btty C) Napoleon 4

        ________________
        totals V Corps, East of Antietam

        20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 16
        10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles (rifled) 8
        __
        ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 24

        Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 36
        __
        ..... total, V Corps pieces 60

        IX Corps - near Lower Bridge (some Bttys crossed PM)

        Edwards (3rd US, Btty L&M) 10lb Parrott 4
        Roemer (2nd NY, Btty L) 3in Ord Rifle 6

        1st Div, IX Corps
        Benjamin (2nd US, Btty E) 20lb Parrott 4
        Cook (MA Lt, 8th Btty) 12lb James 4, 12lb Hwzr 2

        2nd Div, IX Corps
        Clark (4th US, Btty E) 10lb Parrott 4
        Durell (PA Lt, Btty D) 10lb Parrott 6

        3rd Div, IX Corps
        Whiting (9 NY Inf, Co K) Naval Hwzr 6
        Muhlenberg (5th US, Btty A) Napoleon 6

        Kanawha Division, IX Corps
        McMullin (OH Lt, 1st Btty) 14lb James 6
        Simmonds (KY Lt, Simmond's) 20lb Parrott 2, 10lb Parrott 3, 12lb
        Hwzr 1
        ________________
        totals IX Corps, East of Antietam (1/2 day)

        20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 6
        10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles, James (rifled) 33
        __
        ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 39

        Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 15
        __
        ..... total, IX Corps pieces 54

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
          Thanks. You guys are amazing. I'll print this all out and try to digest
          it.

          Cheers,
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
            The tour went fine. The two young girls were very bright and easy to
            engage. And we didn't even need to drop mom at the outlet mall! Thanks
            for the input.