Re: [TalkAntietam] Long Range Guns

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
      Stephen:

      I can't say Carman's numbers are correct to the gun, but the lower figure appears to be closer to the mark in terms of true "long-range" artillery in McClellan's arsenal.

      A fair number of early accounts assume that every battery known to be on the far side of the creek was there because it could hit the Confederates at that distance, thus conflating "long range" with "happened to be parked east of Antietam creek." (Some are actually nothing more than unengaged batteries of Napoleons). Those higher numbers filtered into a number of subsequent histories, which may be where you're getting 75 guns.

      --jake

      >>> Stephen Recker <recker@virtualgetty sburg.com> 11/22/07 8:43 AM >>>
      I have always thought that Little Mac had 75 long-range guns lined up
      on the east side of Antietam Creek. I just read in Carman that he had
      only 46. Am I getting my apples and oranges mixed up? Thanks.

    • James W. Durney
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007

        > The outlet mall, IIRC, is in Hagerstown, not close to Sharpsburg.

        I didn't do more than pull in to drop off/pick up. IIRC, the mall was
        just off the interstate and a short drive to the NBP.
      • bdowney@aotw.org
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
          Hi Stephen,
          You've had some good answers already.

          I did a little digging at the battery level in the Federal Fifth (V)
          and Ninth (IX) Corps for 17 September. Most of my data is as
          collated by Johnson and Anderson (Artillery Hell, 1995) with
          occasional updates from other sources. Locations are per Carman's
          maps (Atlas of the Battlefield of Antietam - online at the LoC).

          The bulk of the long range pieces along the ridge east of the
          Antietam opposite Sharpsburg were of the V Corps Artillery Reserve.
          Others of the V Corps Divisional artillery were also present and had
          range and sight of much of the the battlefield north of the town,
          particularly the plateau just east of the Dunkard Church - as you
          know, a key spot on the battlefield occupied by considerable
          Confederate artillery early in the day.

          Some of the artillery of the IX Corps in the vicinity of the Lower
          Bridge could also reach Confederate artillery positions, notably
          concentrations on the high ground south of Sharpsburg and on Cemetery
          Hill east of the town.

          Other Federal artillery units were also placed, at least for part of
          the day on the 17th, east of the creek, but were not significantly
          deployed or engaged from there. These would include guns of the
          Second and Sixth Corps, and Pleasonton's Horse artillery (soon
          ordered across the creek). I have not included them here.

          The real heavy hitters, as shown on several of Carman's maps, were
          batteries of V Corps deployed along the crest of the ridge
          immediately east of the creek on either side of the Boonsboro Pike as
          it crosses the Middle Bridge. They were -- from north to south --
          Wever, Lagner, Martin, Hazlett, Waterman, and Kusserow north of the
          bridge, and Von Kleiser, Weed, and Taft to the south. Also south of
          the pike, but further removed to the east and effectively out of
          action were the remaining V Corps batteries of Randol, Weed, and Van
          Reed.

          Among these V Corps units were 16 big 20-pounder Parrots, and another
          8 rifled guns: 10-pounder Parrots and 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. A total
          of 24 guns I'd characterize as long-range. Mixed in were 36 various
          smoothbores (Napoleons, mostly).

          Continuing along the creek from where we left off were the IX Corps
          batteries of Clark and Simmonds. At least during the morning, the
          batteries of Durell, Cook, Benjamin, Muhlenberg, Roemer, and McMullen
          completed the line of Federal artillery roughly following the east
          bank of the Antietam.

          Simmonds and Benjamin between them boasted the other 6 20-pound
          Parrots at Antietam. Also in the IX Corps were 33 smaller rifled
          guns for a total of 39 long range pieces. The infantry was also
          supported by about 15 smoothbores.

          For what it's worth, then, I count about 63 long range guns east of
          the creek til at least 1pm. Certainly, not all were engaged or had
          targets all day, so you can make of the count what you will.

          Apples and oranges, by battery, are shown below:

          Battery Guns Number

          V Corps Arty Reserve - ridgeline vcty Middle Bridge

          Wever (1st Bn NY Light, Btty A) 20lb Parrott 4
          von Kleiser (1st Bn NY Light, Btty B) 20lb Parrott 4
          Langner (1st Bn NY Light, Btty C) 20lb Parrott 4
          Kusserow (1st Bn NY Light, Btty D) 32lb Hwzr 6
          Graham (1st US, Btty K) Napoleon 4
          Miller (4th US, Btty G) Napoleon 6
          Taft (NY Light, 5th Btty) 20lb Parrott 4

          2nd Div, V Corps Arty - south of Middle Bridge
          Randol (1st US, Btty E&G) Napoleon 4
          Weed (5th US, Btty I) 3in Ord Rifle 4
          VanReed (5th US, Btty K) - crossed w/Regulars Napoleon 4

          1st Div, V Corps Arty (any cross Antietam?)
          Waterman (1st RI Light, Btty C) Napoleon 6
          Hazlett (5th US, Btty D) w/Corps Resv Arty Napoleon 2, 10lb Parrott
          4
          Martin (MA Light, Btty C) Napoleon 4

          ________________
          totals V Corps, East of Antietam

          20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 16
          10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles (rifled) 8
          __
          ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 24

          Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 36
          __
          ..... total, V Corps pieces 60

          IX Corps - near Lower Bridge (some Bttys crossed PM)

          Edwards (3rd US, Btty L&M) 10lb Parrott 4
          Roemer (2nd NY, Btty L) 3in Ord Rifle 6

          1st Div, IX Corps
          Benjamin (2nd US, Btty E) 20lb Parrott 4
          Cook (MA Lt, 8th Btty) 12lb James 4, 12lb Hwzr 2

          2nd Div, IX Corps
          Clark (4th US, Btty E) 10lb Parrott 4
          Durell (PA Lt, Btty D) 10lb Parrott 6

          3rd Div, IX Corps
          Whiting (9 NY Inf, Co K) Naval Hwzr 6
          Muhlenberg (5th US, Btty A) Napoleon 6

          Kanawha Division, IX Corps
          McMullin (OH Lt, 1st Btty) 14lb James 6
          Simmonds (KY Lt, Simmond's) 20lb Parrott 2, 10lb Parrott 3, 12lb
          Hwzr 1
          ________________
          totals IX Corps, East of Antietam (1/2 day)

          20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 6
          10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles, James (rifled) 33
          __
          ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 39

          Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 15
          __
          ..... total, IX Corps pieces 54

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
            Thanks. You guys are amazing. I'll print this all out and try to digest
            it.

            Cheers,
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
              The tour went fine. The two young girls were very bright and easy to
              engage. And we didn't even need to drop mom at the outlet mall! Thanks
              for the input.