Re: [TalkAntietam] Long Range Guns

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
      Hi Stephen,
      I think Carman is accurate. Without doing a lot of digging, the
      Artillery Reserve, attached ot the Fifth Corps, had 7 batteries, 42
      guns, and 16 of them were 20 lbs. Parrotts. 12 were Napoleons and out
      of range, and a couple of Fifth Corps batteries may have helped out, but
      not enough to make it 75 guns. Two batteries of 20 lbs. Parrotts (12
      guns) from Twelfth Corps also were there making it 28 long range guns.
      Maybe that number can be arrived upon by adding the Ninth Corps guns
      farther south along the bluffs? Some of them were "long range" but not
      many. Benjamin's had 20 lbs Parrotts, but only 2 I think.

      >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 11/22/07 8:43 AM >>>
      I have always thought that Little Mac had 75 long-range guns lined up
      on the east side of Antietam Creek. I just read in Carman that he had
      only 46. Am I getting my apples and oranges mixed up? Thanks.

      Stephen
    • Joseph Pierro
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
        Stephen:

        I can't say Carman's numbers are correct to the gun, but the lower figure appears to be closer to the mark in terms of true "long-range" artillery in McClellan's arsenal.

        A fair number of early accounts assume that every battery known to be on the far side of the creek was there because it could hit the Confederates at that distance, thus conflating "long range" with "happened to be parked east of Antietam creek." (Some are actually nothing more than unengaged batteries of Napoleons). Those higher numbers filtered into a number of subsequent histories, which may be where you're getting 75 guns.

        --jake

        >>> Stephen Recker <recker@virtualgetty sburg.com> 11/22/07 8:43 AM >>>
        I have always thought that Little Mac had 75 long-range guns lined up
        on the east side of Antietam Creek. I just read in Carman that he had
        only 46. Am I getting my apples and oranges mixed up? Thanks.

      • James W. Durney
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007

          > The outlet mall, IIRC, is in Hagerstown, not close to Sharpsburg.

          I didn't do more than pull in to drop off/pick up. IIRC, the mall was
          just off the interstate and a short drive to the NBP.
        • bdowney@aotw.org
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
            Hi Stephen,
            You've had some good answers already.

            I did a little digging at the battery level in the Federal Fifth (V)
            and Ninth (IX) Corps for 17 September. Most of my data is as
            collated by Johnson and Anderson (Artillery Hell, 1995) with
            occasional updates from other sources. Locations are per Carman's
            maps (Atlas of the Battlefield of Antietam - online at the LoC).

            The bulk of the long range pieces along the ridge east of the
            Antietam opposite Sharpsburg were of the V Corps Artillery Reserve.
            Others of the V Corps Divisional artillery were also present and had
            range and sight of much of the the battlefield north of the town,
            particularly the plateau just east of the Dunkard Church - as you
            know, a key spot on the battlefield occupied by considerable
            Confederate artillery early in the day.

            Some of the artillery of the IX Corps in the vicinity of the Lower
            Bridge could also reach Confederate artillery positions, notably
            concentrations on the high ground south of Sharpsburg and on Cemetery
            Hill east of the town.

            Other Federal artillery units were also placed, at least for part of
            the day on the 17th, east of the creek, but were not significantly
            deployed or engaged from there. These would include guns of the
            Second and Sixth Corps, and Pleasonton's Horse artillery (soon
            ordered across the creek). I have not included them here.

            The real heavy hitters, as shown on several of Carman's maps, were
            batteries of V Corps deployed along the crest of the ridge
            immediately east of the creek on either side of the Boonsboro Pike as
            it crosses the Middle Bridge. They were -- from north to south --
            Wever, Lagner, Martin, Hazlett, Waterman, and Kusserow north of the
            bridge, and Von Kleiser, Weed, and Taft to the south. Also south of
            the pike, but further removed to the east and effectively out of
            action were the remaining V Corps batteries of Randol, Weed, and Van
            Reed.

            Among these V Corps units were 16 big 20-pounder Parrots, and another
            8 rifled guns: 10-pounder Parrots and 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. A total
            of 24 guns I'd characterize as long-range. Mixed in were 36 various
            smoothbores (Napoleons, mostly).

            Continuing along the creek from where we left off were the IX Corps
            batteries of Clark and Simmonds. At least during the morning, the
            batteries of Durell, Cook, Benjamin, Muhlenberg, Roemer, and McMullen
            completed the line of Federal artillery roughly following the east
            bank of the Antietam.

            Simmonds and Benjamin between them boasted the other 6 20-pound
            Parrots at Antietam. Also in the IX Corps were 33 smaller rifled
            guns for a total of 39 long range pieces. The infantry was also
            supported by about 15 smoothbores.

            For what it's worth, then, I count about 63 long range guns east of
            the creek til at least 1pm. Certainly, not all were engaged or had
            targets all day, so you can make of the count what you will.

            Apples and oranges, by battery, are shown below:

            Battery Guns Number

            V Corps Arty Reserve - ridgeline vcty Middle Bridge

            Wever (1st Bn NY Light, Btty A) 20lb Parrott 4
            von Kleiser (1st Bn NY Light, Btty B) 20lb Parrott 4
            Langner (1st Bn NY Light, Btty C) 20lb Parrott 4
            Kusserow (1st Bn NY Light, Btty D) 32lb Hwzr 6
            Graham (1st US, Btty K) Napoleon 4
            Miller (4th US, Btty G) Napoleon 6
            Taft (NY Light, 5th Btty) 20lb Parrott 4

            2nd Div, V Corps Arty - south of Middle Bridge
            Randol (1st US, Btty E&G) Napoleon 4
            Weed (5th US, Btty I) 3in Ord Rifle 4
            VanReed (5th US, Btty K) - crossed w/Regulars Napoleon 4

            1st Div, V Corps Arty (any cross Antietam?)
            Waterman (1st RI Light, Btty C) Napoleon 6
            Hazlett (5th US, Btty D) w/Corps Resv Arty Napoleon 2, 10lb Parrott
            4
            Martin (MA Light, Btty C) Napoleon 4

            ________________
            totals V Corps, East of Antietam

            20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 16
            10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles (rifled) 8
            __
            ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 24

            Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 36
            __
            ..... total, V Corps pieces 60

            IX Corps - near Lower Bridge (some Bttys crossed PM)

            Edwards (3rd US, Btty L&M) 10lb Parrott 4
            Roemer (2nd NY, Btty L) 3in Ord Rifle 6

            1st Div, IX Corps
            Benjamin (2nd US, Btty E) 20lb Parrott 4
            Cook (MA Lt, 8th Btty) 12lb James 4, 12lb Hwzr 2

            2nd Div, IX Corps
            Clark (4th US, Btty E) 10lb Parrott 4
            Durell (PA Lt, Btty D) 10lb Parrott 6

            3rd Div, IX Corps
            Whiting (9 NY Inf, Co K) Naval Hwzr 6
            Muhlenberg (5th US, Btty A) Napoleon 6

            Kanawha Division, IX Corps
            McMullin (OH Lt, 1st Btty) 14lb James 6
            Simmonds (KY Lt, Simmond's) 20lb Parrott 2, 10lb Parrott 3, 12lb
            Hwzr 1
            ________________
            totals IX Corps, East of Antietam (1/2 day)

            20 pound Parrots (rifled, big) 6
            10 pound Parrots, 3 in Ord Rifles, James (rifled) 33
            __
            ..... subtotal, long-range pieces 39

            Napoleons, howitzers, other smoothbores 15
            __
            ..... total, IX Corps pieces 54

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
              Thanks. You guys are amazing. I'll print this all out and try to digest
              it.

              Cheers,
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 23, 2007
                The tour went fine. The two young girls were very bright and easy to
                engage. And we didn't even need to drop mom at the outlet mall! Thanks
                for the input.