Re: [TalkAntietam] George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      Todd,

      I agree. The focus of George's article is the First Texas and the
      actions of the other units in the division commanded by Hood at
      Antietam.

      However, due to the questions and comments regarding Campbell's
      Battery B, Fourth US, do you have a map or series of maps which
      would show the LOS and other factors as seen from that particular
      artillery position? Might help the current discussion,
      particularly if you could show the LOS etc from both Federal and
      Confederate perspectives vis a vis the Texas Brigade and the
      various Federal units they contended against.

      Just a thought. Hope all is well with you my friend.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2001
        Gerry & group,

        Sorry it has taken awhile, but I finally put together some material
        on the LOS of Battery B's position. This is something a little new;
        I have drawn maps that show the LOS from a particular point, but
        the idea of drawing a map that shows the LOS from an aggregate
        set of points (e.g., the region occupied by an entire unit such
        as a regiment or a battery) came to me as I read through your post.

        The results can be found under

        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/losbattb.html

        but you will probably want to first read through

        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/los.html
        and
        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/losregion.html

        which give a long-winded explanation of what I am babbling about.

        All of these pieces are part of my general analytical study of the
        battlefield (http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study)
        which is currently in a DRAFT, UNPROOFED, and INCOMPLETE state.
        I add bits and pieces from time to time, this being one of them.

        All is well here, except that I missed my resolution to finally make it
        to the Heritage festival this year. Damn lousy economy. How are things
        on your end?

        Regards,
        TRL

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2001
          Todd,
          Things appear fine on this end. Will try to take some time next
          week to thoroughly peruse your latest additions.

          I know you could not resist the challenge! Might be something
          which has never been done before in the study of the battle and
          the terrain.

          Knowing how exacting your work is, I am going to offer my
          congratulations in advance.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          > Sorry it has taken awhile, but I finally put together some
          material
          > on the LOS of Battery B's position. This is something a little
          new;
          > I have drawn maps that show the LOS from a particular point,
          but
          > the idea of drawing a map that shows the LOS from an aggregate
          > set of points (e.g., the region occupied by an entire unit such
          > as a regiment or a battery) came to me as I read through your
          post.

          > The results can be found under

          http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/losbattb.htm

          > but you will probably want to first read through

          http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/los.html
          > and

          http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study/losregion.ht
          ml

          > which give a long-winded explanation of what I am babbling
          about.

          > All of these pieces are part of my general analytical study of
          the
          > battlefield
          (http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/topo_study)
          > which is currently in a DRAFT, UNPROOFED, and INCOMPLETE state.
          > I add bits and pieces from time to time, this being one of
          them.

          > All is well here, except that I missed my resolution to finally
          make it
          > to the Heritage festival this year. Damn lousy economy. How are
          things
          > on your end?
          >
          > Regards,
          > TRL
          >
          > NJ Rebel wrote:
          >
          > > Todd,
          > >
          > > I agree. The focus of George's article is the First Texas
          and the
          > > actions of the other units in the division commanded by
          Hood at
          > > Antietam.
          > >
          > > However, due to the questions and comments regarding
          Campbell's
          > > Battery B, Fourth US, do you have a map or series of maps
          which
          > > would show the LOS and other factors as seen from that
          particular
          > > artillery position? Might help the current discussion,
          > > particularly if you could show the LOS etc from both
          Federal and
          > > Confederate perspectives vis a vis the Texas Brigade and
          the
          > > various Federal units they contended against.
          > >
          > > Just a thought. Hope all is well with you my friend.
          > >
          > > Your humble servant,
          > > Gerry Mayers
          > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
          > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
          > >
          > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
          > >
          > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field
          > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
          Robert

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
            Todd;

            I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
            together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
            terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
            indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
            would be so complicated!

            You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
            understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
            field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
            students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
            various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
            undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
            participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
            Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
            you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
            Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
            West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
            LOS extremely difficult.

            Excellent work!

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

> [...]
            > > Battery B, Fourth US, do you have a map or series of maps
            which
            > > would show the LOS and other factors as seen from that
            particular
            > > artillery position? Might help the current discussion,
            > > particularly if you could show the LOS etc from both
            Federal and
            > > Confederate perspectives vis a vis the Texas Brigade and
            the
            > > various Federal units they contended against.
            > >
            > > Just a thought. Hope all is well with you my friend.
            > >
            > > Your humble servant,
            > > Gerry Mayers
            > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
            > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
            > >
            > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
            > >
            > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
            field
            > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General

            Service.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
              Todd;

              I saw your response to Tom Shay's comments. Perhaps we can try to
              coordinate with any possible SHAF work days? Tom Clemens can
              probably help with that.

              Tom C, any possibility of posting in here any upcoming important
              SHAF related dates in enough time for folks to check their
              schedules?

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              Edward Lee

              > We should consider trying to do a muster this next sprint,
              > even if only a handful of us can make it.
              >
              > TRL
              >
              > NJ Rebel wrote:
              >
              > > Todd;
              > >
              > > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had
              put
              > > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from
              both a
              > > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and
              informative
              > > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
              > > would be so complicated!
              > >
              > > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
              > > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of
              the
              > > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
              > > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of
              the
              > > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
              > > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from
              the
              > > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
              > > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project
              as
              > > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
              > > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in
              the
              > > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do
              make
              > > LOS extremely difficult.
              > >
              > > Excellent work!
              > >
              > > Your humble servant,
              > > Gerry Mayers
              > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
              > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
              > >
              > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
              > >
              > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
              field
              > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
              Robert
              > > Edward Lee

              Service.

            • TR Livesey
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001

                NJ Rebel wrote:

                > Todd;
                >
                > I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
                > together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
                > terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
                > indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
                > would be so complicated!
                >
                > You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
                > understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
                > field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
                > students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
                > various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
                > undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
                > participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
                > Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
                > you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
                > Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
                > West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
                > LOS extremely difficult.
                >
                > Excellent work!
                >
                > Your humble servant,
                > Gerry Mayers
                > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                > Edward Lee

              • David Lutton
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 18, 2001
                  Todd,

                  I just wanted to dido Tom's comments on your recent post concerning Battery
                  B, 4th US. As usual I was quite impressed with your work. As to the
                  possibility of a spring muster, count me in. There is nothing like walking
                  Antietam ground with kindred spirits!

                  David Lutton