Re: Hagerstown in General

  • barringer63
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      Stephen Recker wrote:

      > He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

      Indeed. According to the obit I posted, there was a rumor going
      around in the late 1880s, early 1890s that Douglas was engaged to Nllie
      Grant Sartoris, yep, THAT Grant. The paper went on to say that neither
      Douglas nor Mrs. Sartoris bothered to deny the rumor.

      Teej
    • Joseph Pierro
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
        According to his entry in More Generals in Gray, he served as Maryland's AG for four years, beginning in 1892.

        --jake

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
          I'm speaking to the 60th GA reenactment group next week. Any of you guys got any tales of them at Antietam? My ggrandaddy called them "The Paulding (County) Rifles."

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
            Heck Jake -- that's true of the OR. I followed up some of Gordon's stories when writing To Make Men Free, and the father/son episode he talked about seems to be authentic. The words ("My son is gone, and I am soon to follow, but it is okay") may be an elaborate memory, but the Johnson's both died in the Lane. FYI of the nit pickers among you -- the preceeding quotation is from my own memory. If you insist I'll look it up, but please don't insist.

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
              Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
              wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
              our Round Table meetings.

              Thank you

              James Durney