Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Hagerstown in General

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

      Stephen

      Nov 3, 1888 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
      audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
      spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
      flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
      him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
      managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
      gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
      act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
      what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
      although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
      with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
      Remained in our town until Sunday noon.
    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
        Stephen Recker wrote:

        > He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

        Indeed. According to the obit I posted, there was a rumor going
        around in the late 1880s, early 1890s that Douglas was engaged to Nllie
        Grant Sartoris, yep, THAT Grant. The paper went on to say that neither
        Douglas nor Mrs. Sartoris bothered to deny the rumor.

        Teej
      • Joseph Pierro
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
          According to his entry in More Generals in Gray, he served as Maryland's AG for four years, beginning in 1892.

          --jake

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
            I'm speaking to the 60th GA reenactment group next week. Any of you guys got any tales of them at Antietam? My ggrandaddy called them "The Paulding (County) Rifles."

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
              Heck Jake -- that's true of the OR. I followed up some of Gordon's stories when writing To Make Men Free, and the father/son episode he talked about seems to be authentic. The words ("My son is gone, and I am soon to follow, but it is okay") may be an elaborate memory, but the Johnson's both died in the Lane. FYI of the nit pickers among you -- the preceeding quotation is from my own memory. If you insist I'll look it up, but please don't insist.

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
                wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
                our Round Table meetings.

                Thank you

                James Durney