Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Hagerstown in General

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      He also was active and commanded, I think, the MD Nat'l. Guard. Or was
      he the JAG for it?

      Stephen Recker wrote:

      > I think this was in Washington DC.

      In Douglas' obit in the N.Y. Times, the reporter wrote,"After the
      war Gen. Douglas was arrested for having his photograph taken in
      uniform and put in close confinement at Martinsburg, West Va. He was
      sentenced to Fort Delaware for three months and on the way was taken
      to Washington and confined in the penitentiary with Mrs. Surratt and
      others on suspicion that he knew something about the assassination of
      President Lincoln. He was soon released, the charge being unfounded,
      and after serving out his sentence, was released in September, 1865,
      and has since practiced law in Virginia and Maryland, serving as
      Attorney General of Maryland and Judge of the Fifth Judicial
      Circuit." The article also says that Douglas was suffering
      from "mental trouble" at the time of his death.

      Regards,
      Teej

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
        He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

        Stephen

        Nov 3, 1888 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
        audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
        spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
        flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
        him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
        managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
        gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
        act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
        what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
        although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
        with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
        Remained in our town until Sunday noon.
      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
          Stephen Recker wrote:

          > He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

          Indeed. According to the obit I posted, there was a rumor going
          around in the late 1880s, early 1890s that Douglas was engaged to Nllie
          Grant Sartoris, yep, THAT Grant. The paper went on to say that neither
          Douglas nor Mrs. Sartoris bothered to deny the rumor.

          Teej
        • Joseph Pierro
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
            According to his entry in More Generals in Gray, he served as Maryland's AG for four years, beginning in 1892.

            --jake

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
              I'm speaking to the 60th GA reenactment group next week. Any of you guys got any tales of them at Antietam? My ggrandaddy called them "The Paulding (County) Rifles."

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                Heck Jake -- that's true of the OR. I followed up some of Gordon's stories when writing To Make Men Free, and the father/son episode he talked about seems to be authentic. The words ("My son is gone, and I am soon to follow, but it is okay") may be an elaborate memory, but the Johnson's both died in the Lane. FYI of the nit pickers among you -- the preceeding quotation is from my own memory. If you insist I'll look it up, but please don't insist.

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                  Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
                  wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
                  our Round Table meetings.

                  Thank you

                  James Durney