Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Hagerstown in General

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      I hope someone someday does a detailed study of HDK's memoir in its entirety. The conventional wisdom is that the entire thing is a pack of lies. John Gordon's memoirs have the same rep in many circles, but I found when I've examined portions of it that Gordon tended to be telling the truth -- in the essentials. Too many people throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, there is a good deal of exaggerating (as is true of 99% of memoirs) but like so much else else, if you read it with a critical eye it can be a valuable source.

      I wonder if a comprehensive examination of I Rode with Stonewall wouldn't conclude the same thing.

      --jake

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
        Stephen Recker wrote:

        > I think this was in Washington DC.

        In Douglas' obit in the N.Y. Times, the reporter wrote,"After the
        war Gen. Douglas was arrested for having his photograph taken in
        uniform and put in close confinement at Martinsburg, West Va. He was
        sentenced to Fort Delaware for three months and on the way was taken
        to Washington and confined in the penitentiary with Mrs. Surratt and
        others on suspicion that he knew something about the assassination of
        President Lincoln. He was soon released, the charge being unfounded,
        and after serving out his sentence, was released in September, 1865,
        and has since practiced law in Virginia and Maryland, serving as
        Attorney General of Maryland and Judge of the Fifth Judicial
        Circuit." The article also says that Douglas was suffering
        from "mental trouble" at the time of his death.

        Regards,
        Teej

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
          He also was active and commanded, I think, the MD Nat'l. Guard. Or was
          he the JAG for it?

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
            He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

            Stephen

            Nov 3, 1888 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
            audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
            spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
            flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
            him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
            managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
            gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
            act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
            what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
            although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
            with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
            Remained in our town until Sunday noon.
          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
              Stephen Recker wrote:

              > He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

              Indeed. According to the obit I posted, there was a rumor going
              around in the late 1880s, early 1890s that Douglas was engaged to Nllie
              Grant Sartoris, yep, THAT Grant. The paper went on to say that neither
              Douglas nor Mrs. Sartoris bothered to deny the rumor.

              Teej
            • Joseph Pierro
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                According to his entry in More Generals in Gray, he served as Maryland's AG for four years, beginning in 1892.

                --jake

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                  I'm speaking to the 60th GA reenactment group next week. Any of you guys got any tales of them at Antietam? My ggrandaddy called them "The Paulding (County) Rifles."

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                    Heck Jake -- that's true of the OR. I followed up some of Gordon's stories when writing To Make Men Free, and the father/son episode he talked about seems to be authentic. The words ("My son is gone, and I am soon to follow, but it is okay") may be an elaborate memory, but the Johnson's both died in the Lane. FYI of the nit pickers among you -- the preceeding quotation is from my own memory. If you insist I'll look it up, but please don't insist.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                      Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
                      wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
                      our Round Table meetings.

                      Thank you

                      James Durney