Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Hagerstown in General

  • david lutton
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      The two stories concerning HKD that I offen wonder about if true incidents or otherwise were:
      1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to impress a lady friend.
      2. He is said to have assisted John Brown when his wagon was stuck in the Potomac below his family homestead I guess in 1859?

      Are these true accounts or fiction?

      When we stay over in Shepherdstown, we usually stay at the Clarion Motel, and as I pass HKD's graveyard my mind often turns to this very interesting character.

      David Lutton
      Hollidaysburg Pa

      David Lutton
      Hollidaysburg Pa
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
        I think this was in Washington DC.

        Stephen

        On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, at 06:31 PM, david lutton wrote:

        > 1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of
        > himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to
        > impress a lady friend.
      • Joseph Pierro
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
          I hope someone someday does a detailed study of HDK's memoir in its entirety. The conventional wisdom is that the entire thing is a pack of lies. John Gordon's memoirs have the same rep in many circles, but I found when I've examined portions of it that Gordon tended to be telling the truth -- in the essentials. Too many people throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, there is a good deal of exaggerating (as is true of 99% of memoirs) but like so much else else, if you read it with a critical eye it can be a valuable source.

          I wonder if a comprehensive examination of I Rode with Stonewall wouldn't conclude the same thing.

          --jake

          The two stories concerning HKD that I offen wonder about if true incidents or otherwise were:
          1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to impress a lady friend.
          2. He is said to have assisted John Brown when his wagon was stuck in the Potomac below his family homestead I guess in 1859?

          Are these true accounts or fiction?

          When we stay over in Shepherdstown, we usually stay at the Clarion Motel, and as I pass HKD's graveyard my mind often turns to this very interesting character.

          David Lutton
          Hollidaysburg Pa

          Visit Your Group
          Y! Entertainment
          World of Star Wars
          Rediscover the force.
          Explore now.
          Yahoo! News
          Kevin Sites
          Get coverage of
          world crises.
          Cat Zone
          on Yahoo! Groups
          Join a Group
          all about cats..

        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
            Stephen Recker wrote:

            > I think this was in Washington DC.

            In Douglas' obit in the N.Y. Times, the reporter wrote,"After the
            war Gen. Douglas was arrested for having his photograph taken in
            uniform and put in close confinement at Martinsburg, West Va. He was
            sentenced to Fort Delaware for three months and on the way was taken
            to Washington and confined in the penitentiary with Mrs. Surratt and
            others on suspicion that he knew something about the assassination of
            President Lincoln. He was soon released, the charge being unfounded,
            and after serving out his sentence, was released in September, 1865,
            and has since practiced law in Virginia and Maryland, serving as
            Attorney General of Maryland and Judge of the Fifth Judicial
            Circuit." The article also says that Douglas was suffering
            from "mental trouble" at the time of his death.

            Regards,
            Teej

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
              He also was active and commanded, I think, the MD Nat'l. Guard. Or was
              he the JAG for it?

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

                Stephen

                Nov 3, 1888 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
                audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
                spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
                flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
                him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
                managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
                gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
                act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
                what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
                although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
                with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
                Remained in our town until Sunday noon.
              • barringer63
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                  Stephen Recker wrote:

                  > He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

                  Indeed. According to the obit I posted, there was a rumor going
                  around in the late 1880s, early 1890s that Douglas was engaged to Nllie
                  Grant Sartoris, yep, THAT Grant. The paper went on to say that neither
                  Douglas nor Mrs. Sartoris bothered to deny the rumor.

                  Teej
                • Joseph Pierro
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                    According to his entry in More Generals in Gray, he served as Maryland's AG for four years, beginning in 1892.

                    --jake

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                      I'm speaking to the 60th GA reenactment group next week. Any of you guys got any tales of them at Antietam? My ggrandaddy called them "The Paulding (County) Rifles."

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                        Heck Jake -- that's true of the OR. I followed up some of Gordon's stories when writing To Make Men Free, and the father/son episode he talked about seems to be authentic. The words ("My son is gone, and I am soon to follow, but it is okay") may be an elaborate memory, but the Johnson's both died in the Lane. FYI of the nit pickers among you -- the preceeding quotation is from my own memory. If you insist I'll look it up, but please don't insist.

                        On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, at 06:31 PM, david lutton wrote:

                        > 1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of
                        > himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to
                        > impress a lady friend.

                      • James W. Durney
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                          Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
                          wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
                          our Round Table meetings.

                          Thank you

                          James Durney