Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Hagerstown in General

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      Probably a little bit of both. As others have already stated, there are some manuscripts out there for researchers to use, but I'm not sure there's enough material regarding his life (as opposed to what he witnessed--or claimed to have witnessed) to support a full-length treatment. It would probably turn into an annotated version of "I Rode with Stonewall," with the author confirming or refuting various anecdotes.

      I'd be surprised if someone hasn't tackled already him in a journal article at some point, though. I KNOW I've seen biographical pieces in the CW mags over the years.

      --jake

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
        The two stories concerning HKD that I offen wonder about if true incidents or otherwise were:
        1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to impress a lady friend.
        2. He is said to have assisted John Brown when his wagon was stuck in the Potomac below his family homestead I guess in 1859?

        Are these true accounts or fiction?

        When we stay over in Shepherdstown, we usually stay at the Clarion Motel, and as I pass HKD's graveyard my mind often turns to this very interesting character.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
          I think this was in Washington DC.

          Stephen

          On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, at 06:31 PM, david lutton wrote:

          > 1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of
          > himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to
          > impress a lady friend.
        • Joseph Pierro
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
            I hope someone someday does a detailed study of HDK's memoir in its entirety. The conventional wisdom is that the entire thing is a pack of lies. John Gordon's memoirs have the same rep in many circles, but I found when I've examined portions of it that Gordon tended to be telling the truth -- in the essentials. Too many people throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, there is a good deal of exaggerating (as is true of 99% of memoirs) but like so much else else, if you read it with a critical eye it can be a valuable source.

            I wonder if a comprehensive examination of I Rode with Stonewall wouldn't conclude the same thing.

            --jake

            The two stories concerning HKD that I offen wonder about if true incidents or otherwise were:
            1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to impress a lady friend.
            2. He is said to have assisted John Brown when his wagon was stuck in the Potomac below his family homestead I guess in 1859?

            Are these true accounts or fiction?

            When we stay over in Shepherdstown, we usually stay at the Clarion Motel, and as I pass HKD's graveyard my mind often turns to this very interesting character.

            David Lutton
            Hollidaysburg Pa

            Visit Your Group
            Y! Entertainment
            World of Star Wars
            Rediscover the force.
            Explore now.
            Yahoo! News
            Kevin Sites
            Get coverage of
            world crises.
            Cat Zone
            on Yahoo! Groups
            Join a Group
            all about cats..

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
              Stephen Recker wrote:

              > I think this was in Washington DC.

              In Douglas' obit in the N.Y. Times, the reporter wrote,"After the
              war Gen. Douglas was arrested for having his photograph taken in
              uniform and put in close confinement at Martinsburg, West Va. He was
              sentenced to Fort Delaware for three months and on the way was taken
              to Washington and confined in the penitentiary with Mrs. Surratt and
              others on suspicion that he knew something about the assassination of
              President Lincoln. He was soon released, the charge being unfounded,
              and after serving out his sentence, was released in September, 1865,
              and has since practiced law in Virginia and Maryland, serving as
              Attorney General of Maryland and Judge of the Fifth Judicial
              Circuit." The article also says that Douglas was suffering
              from "mental trouble" at the time of his death.

              Regards,
              Teej

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                He also was active and commanded, I think, the MD Nat'l. Guard. Or was
                he the JAG for it?

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                  He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

                  Stephen

                  Nov 3, 1888 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
                  audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
                  spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
                  flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
                  him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
                  managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
                  gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
                  act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
                  what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
                  although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
                  with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
                  Remained in our town until Sunday noon.
                • barringer63
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                    Stephen Recker wrote:

                    > He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

                    Indeed. According to the obit I posted, there was a rumor going
                    around in the late 1880s, early 1890s that Douglas was engaged to Nllie
                    Grant Sartoris, yep, THAT Grant. The paper went on to say that neither
                    Douglas nor Mrs. Sartoris bothered to deny the rumor.

                    Teej
                  • Joseph Pierro
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                      According to his entry in More Generals in Gray, he served as Maryland's AG for four years, beginning in 1892.

                      --jake

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                        I'm speaking to the 60th GA reenactment group next week. Any of you guys got any tales of them at Antietam? My ggrandaddy called them "The Paulding (County) Rifles."

                      • richard@rcroker.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                          Heck Jake -- that's true of the OR. I followed up some of Gordon's stories when writing To Make Men Free, and the father/son episode he talked about seems to be authentic. The words ("My son is gone, and I am soon to follow, but it is okay") may be an elaborate memory, but the Johnson's both died in the Lane. FYI of the nit pickers among you -- the preceeding quotation is from my own memory. If you insist I'll look it up, but please don't insist.

                          On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, at 06:31 PM, david lutton wrote:

                          > 1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of
                          > himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to
                          > impress a lady friend.

                        • James W. Durney
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                            Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
                            wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
                            our Round Table meetings.

                            Thank you

                            James Durney