Confederates returning to Antietam

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2007
      Going through some manuscript collections here in Richmond some time past I came across an account (and off the top of my head, I can't remember if it was from '63, during the Gettysburg campaign, or from '64, during the Monocacy campaign) of a short tour Jubal Early conducted for some of his junior officers as his men were camped near the old battlefield of Antietam.

      Is anyone else aware of other accounts by Confederates of revisiting the battlefield at Antietam at later points during the war (as opposed to simple mentions of marching through or being camped near the town of Sharpsburg)?

      Happy Thanksgiving to all (and safe travels)!

      ---jake

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
        Jake,
        I think it was in August 1864 after Monocacy and Jube was raiding flour
        mills in the Antietam valley. he had Hotchkiss take him around the
        field. I like th think of Jube as Antietam's first offical visitor and
        Hotchkiss as the original tour guide. As you know, Hotchkiss was a
        member of the Antietam Battlefield Board.

        Hey Steve, maybe we should make Hotchkiss the symbol for the Guides
        Service? Call ourselves the disciples of Jed??? :-)
        Tom Clemens