Re: [TalkAntietam] Hagerstown in General

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      For what it is worth,
      When I was hired here in 1978 I met an older fellow who told me that
      HKD used to stroll through north end of Hagerstown in the evenings with
      a rose clenched between his teeth so that everyone would recognize that
      he was a gentleman! The person who knows the most about HKD and has a
      number of his possessions is Doug Bast in Boonsboro. he owns the
      Boonsboro Museum of History on Main Street and some of the HKD artifacts
      are there. You might want to get in touch with him for details of his
      life.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
        I've always found it interesting that no one has written a biography
        of HKD. Are there insufficient materials about him to justify a book
        or is it something else other than lack of interest of a writer?

        Larry F.

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
          Doug Bast has JKD's Diary, which would be a big help and not only
          has he sealed it,he will not allow anyone to look at it...from
          what I recall being told.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
          <clemenst@...>
          wrote:

          > For what it is worth,
          > When I was hired here in 1978 I met an older fellow who told me
          > that
          > HKD used to stroll through north end of Hagerstown in the
          > evenings
          with
          > a rose clenched between his teeth so that everyone would
          > recognize
          that
          > he was a gentleman! The person who knows the most about HKD
          > and
          has a
          > number of his possessions is Doug Bast in Boonsboro. he owns
          > the
          > Boonsboro Museum of History on Main Street and some of the HKD
          artifacts
          > are there. You might want to get in touch with him for details
          > of
          his

        • Marc73@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
            If that is the case it is a shame. The diary could be transcribed and the transcription sold by the musuem and the owner of the dairy would still have the original. About 10 years ago I discovered at the Lycoming County Historical Society in Pennsylvania?the dairies of a person in the signal corp during the civil war. I suggested to them?they be transcribed and they did, selling the transcribed diary booklet as a fund raiser.

            Marc Riddell

            Doug Bast has JKD's Diary, which would be a big help and not only
            has he sealed it,he will not allow anyone to look at it...from
            what I recall being told.

            wrote:

            > For what it is worth,
            > When I was hired here in 1978 I met an older fellow who told me
            > that
            > HKD used to stroll through north end of Hagerstown in the
            > evenings
            with
            > a rose clenched between his teeth so that everyone would
            > recognize
            that
            > he was a gentleman! The person who knows the most about HKD
            > and
            has a
            > number of his possessions is Doug Bast in Boonsboro. he owns
            > the
            > Boonsboro Museum of History on Main Street and some of the HKD
            artifacts
            > are there. You might want to get in touch with him for details
            > of
            his

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
              Hmmm, good question. Doug has his war-time diary, but does not share
              it. I wouldn't either, but it would be neat to see a bio of him.
              Enough people had exposed the tall tales in his book to warrant a
              revision of him in the war.

              Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

              >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 11/20/2007 2:14 PM

              I've always found it interesting that no one has written a biography
              of HKD. Are there insufficient materials about him to justify a book
              or is it something else other than lack of interest of a writer?

              Larry F.

              > For what it is worth,
              > When I was hired here in 1978 I met an older fellow who told me that
              > HKD used to stroll through north end of Hagerstown in the evenings
              with
              > a rose clenched between his teeth so that everyone would recognize
              that
              > he was a gentleman! The person who knows the most about HKD and
              has a
              > number of his possessions is Doug Bast in Boonsboro. he owns the
              > Boonsboro Museum of History on Main Street and some of the HKD
              artifacts
              > are there. You might want to get in touch with him for details of
              his
              > life.
              >

              > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

            • barringer63
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                Tom Clemens wrote:

                > Hmmm, good question. Doug has his war-time diary, but does not
                share
                > it. I wouldn't either, but it would be neat to see a bio of him.
                > Enough people had exposed the tall tales in his book to warrant a
                > revision of him in the war.

                Well, if someone is on this group is contemplating such a task this
                is available at Perkins Library, Duke University, Durham, NC

                Teej

                Description 32 items.
                History notes Confederate soldier.
                Summary Civil War letters from Henry Kyd Douglas to Helen Macomb
                Boteler describing in detail military movements and camp life,
                including the battles of Cross Keys, 1862; Port Republic, 1862; and
                Fredericksburg, 1862, all in Virginia. Several of the letters were
                written from the Union military prison on Johnson's Island, near
                Sandusky, Ohio.

              • Joseph Pierro
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                  Probably a little bit of both. As others have already stated, there are some manuscripts out there for researchers to use, but I'm not sure there's enough material regarding his life (as opposed to what he witnessed--or claimed to have witnessed) to support a full-length treatment. It would probably turn into an annotated version of "I Rode with Stonewall," with the author confirming or refuting various anecdotes.

                  I'd be surprised if someone hasn't tackled already him in a journal article at some point, though. I KNOW I've seen biographical pieces in the CW mags over the years.

                  --jake

                  I've always found it interesting that no one has written a biography
                  of HKD. Are there insufficient materials about him to justify a book
                  or is it something else other than lack of interest of a writer?

                  Larry F.

                  Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe .

                • david lutton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                    The two stories concerning HKD that I offen wonder about if true incidents or otherwise were:
                    1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to impress a lady friend.
                    2. He is said to have assisted John Brown when his wagon was stuck in the Potomac below his family homestead I guess in 1859?

                    Are these true accounts or fiction?

                    When we stay over in Shepherdstown, we usually stay at the Clarion Motel, and as I pass HKD's graveyard my mind often turns to this very interesting character.

                    David Lutton
                    Hollidaysburg Pa

                    David Lutton
                    Hollidaysburg Pa

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                      I think this was in Washington DC.

                      Stephen

                      On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, at 06:31 PM, david lutton wrote:

                      > 1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of
                      > himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to
                      > impress a lady friend.
                    • Joseph Pierro
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                        I hope someone someday does a detailed study of HDK's memoir in its entirety. The conventional wisdom is that the entire thing is a pack of lies. John Gordon's memoirs have the same rep in many circles, but I found when I've examined portions of it that Gordon tended to be telling the truth -- in the essentials. Too many people throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, there is a good deal of exaggerating (as is true of 99% of memoirs) but like so much else else, if you read it with a critical eye it can be a valuable source.

                        I wonder if a comprehensive examination of I Rode with Stonewall wouldn't conclude the same thing.

                        --jake

                        The two stories concerning HKD that I offen wonder about if true incidents or otherwise were:
                        1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to impress a lady friend.
                        2. He is said to have assisted John Brown when his wagon was stuck in the Potomac below his family homestead I guess in 1859?

                        Are these true accounts or fiction?

                        When we stay over in Shepherdstown, we usually stay at the Clarion Motel, and as I pass HKD's graveyard my mind often turns to this very interesting character.

                        David Lutton
                        Hollidaysburg Pa

                        Visit Your Group
                        Y! Entertainment
                        World of Star Wars
                        Rediscover the force.
                        Explore now.
                        Yahoo! News
                        Kevin Sites
                        Get coverage of
                        world crises.
                        Cat Zone
                        on Yahoo! Groups
                        Join a Group
                        all about cats..

                      • barringer63
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                          Stephen Recker wrote:

                          > I think this was in Washington DC.

                          In Douglas' obit in the N.Y. Times, the reporter wrote,"After the
                          war Gen. Douglas was arrested for having his photograph taken in
                          uniform and put in close confinement at Martinsburg, West Va. He was
                          sentenced to Fort Delaware for three months and on the way was taken
                          to Washington and confined in the penitentiary with Mrs. Surratt and
                          others on suspicion that he knew something about the assassination of
                          President Lincoln. He was soon released, the charge being unfounded,
                          and after serving out his sentence, was released in September, 1865,
                          and has since practiced law in Virginia and Maryland, serving as
                          Attorney General of Maryland and Judge of the Fifth Judicial
                          Circuit." The article also says that Douglas was suffering
                          from "mental trouble" at the time of his death.

                          Regards,
                          Teej

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                            He also was active and commanded, I think, the MD Nat'l. Guard. Or was
                            he the JAG for it?

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                              He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

                              Stephen

                              Nov 3, 1888 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
                              audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
                              spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
                              flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
                              him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
                              managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
                              gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
                              act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
                              what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
                              although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
                              with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
                              Remained in our town until Sunday noon.
                            • barringer63
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                                Stephen Recker wrote:

                                > He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

                                Indeed. According to the obit I posted, there was a rumor going
                                around in the late 1880s, early 1890s that Douglas was engaged to Nllie
                                Grant Sartoris, yep, THAT Grant. The paper went on to say that neither
                                Douglas nor Mrs. Sartoris bothered to deny the rumor.

                                Teej
                              • Joseph Pierro
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                                  According to his entry in More Generals in Gray, he served as Maryland's AG for four years, beginning in 1892.

                                  --jake

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                                    I'm speaking to the 60th GA reenactment group next week. Any of you guys got any tales of them at Antietam? My ggrandaddy called them "The Paulding (County) Rifles."

                                  • richard@rcroker.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                                      Heck Jake -- that's true of the OR. I followed up some of Gordon's stories when writing To Make Men Free, and the father/son episode he talked about seems to be authentic. The words ("My son is gone, and I am soon to follow, but it is okay") may be an elaborate memory, but the Johnson's both died in the Lane. FYI of the nit pickers among you -- the preceeding quotation is from my own memory. If you insist I'll look it up, but please don't insist.

                                      On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, at 06:31 PM, david lutton wrote:

                                      > 1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of
                                      > himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to
                                      > impress a lady friend.

                                    • James W. Durney
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                                        Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
                                        wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
                                        our Round Table meetings.

                                        Thank you

                                        James Durney