Hagerstown in General

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      Greetings everybody. Happy Thanksgiving.

      We here in the Hagerstown Planning Department would like to put in a
      grant proposal to the Civil War Heritage Area grant program for some
      wayside panels at the homes of prominent Hagerstonians who served in
      the Civil War, explaning their contributions and achievements in the
      war.

      We have the home of Commander Donald McN. Fairfax, USN locked down.

      I am looking for others. Specifically (but not limited to):

      Col. Henry K. Douglas, CSA
      Col. Wm. Maulsby, 1st MD PHB, USA
      Maj. George Freaner, CSA
      LTC (BBG) George Bell, USA
      Surgeon Charles McGill, CSA

      I have heard through the grape vine that Douglas' home was on
      the "caddy corner" to Blooms Park; the small park on North Potomac
      Street where the cannon captured in the Spanish-American War is
      displayed. It is my understanding that underneath all the Spanish
      Style additions and cosmetic changes made to the house over the years
      is Col. Douglas' house...but he would never recognize it now.

      Any help anyone can provide us with the home locations of prominent
      Hagerstonians in the Civil War would be appreciated.

      Thanks.

      Steve Bockmiller
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
        It's been my understanding that you have the correct lot, but I recall
        reading that the house that stands on that lot is an entirely new
        building. I'll try to remember where that cite is.

        BTW, I recently bought a photo of two men standing outside the
        Middle-States Loan, Building and Construction Co. The window lists H.
        Kyd Douglas as General Atty. Anyone know where this building is? Thanks.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
          For what it is worth,
          When I was hired here in 1978 I met an older fellow who told me that
          HKD used to stroll through north end of Hagerstown in the evenings with
          a rose clenched between his teeth so that everyone would recognize that
          he was a gentleman! The person who knows the most about HKD and has a
          number of his possessions is Doug Bast in Boonsboro. he owns the
          Boonsboro Museum of History on Main Street and some of the HKD artifacts
          are there. You might want to get in touch with him for details of his
          life.

          Dr. Thomas G. Clemens
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
            I've always found it interesting that no one has written a biography
            of HKD. Are there insufficient materials about him to justify a book
            or is it something else other than lack of interest of a writer?

            Larry F.

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
              Doug Bast has JKD's Diary, which would be a big help and not only
              has he sealed it,he will not allow anyone to look at it...from
              what I recall being told.

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
              <clemenst@...>
              wrote:

              > For what it is worth,
              > When I was hired here in 1978 I met an older fellow who told me
              > that
              > HKD used to stroll through north end of Hagerstown in the
              > evenings
              with
              > a rose clenched between his teeth so that everyone would
              > recognize
              that
              > he was a gentleman! The person who knows the most about HKD
              > and
              has a
              > number of his possessions is Doug Bast in Boonsboro. he owns
              > the
              > Boonsboro Museum of History on Main Street and some of the HKD
              artifacts
              > are there. You might want to get in touch with him for details
              > of
              his

            • Marc73@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                If that is the case it is a shame. The diary could be transcribed and the transcription sold by the musuem and the owner of the dairy would still have the original. About 10 years ago I discovered at the Lycoming County Historical Society in Pennsylvania?the dairies of a person in the signal corp during the civil war. I suggested to them?they be transcribed and they did, selling the transcribed diary booklet as a fund raiser.

                Marc Riddell

                Doug Bast has JKD's Diary, which would be a big help and not only
                has he sealed it,he will not allow anyone to look at it...from
                what I recall being told.

                wrote:

                > For what it is worth,
                > When I was hired here in 1978 I met an older fellow who told me
                > that
                > HKD used to stroll through north end of Hagerstown in the
                > evenings
                with
                > a rose clenched between his teeth so that everyone would
                > recognize
                that
                > he was a gentleman! The person who knows the most about HKD
                > and
                has a
                > number of his possessions is Doug Bast in Boonsboro. he owns
                > the
                > Boonsboro Museum of History on Main Street and some of the HKD
                artifacts
                > are there. You might want to get in touch with him for details
                > of
                his

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                  Hmmm, good question. Doug has his war-time diary, but does not share
                  it. I wouldn't either, but it would be neat to see a bio of him.
                  Enough people had exposed the tall tales in his book to warrant a
                  revision of him in the war.

                  Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                  >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 11/20/2007 2:14 PM

                  I've always found it interesting that no one has written a biography
                  of HKD. Are there insufficient materials about him to justify a book
                  or is it something else other than lack of interest of a writer?

                  Larry F.

                  > For what it is worth,
                  > When I was hired here in 1978 I met an older fellow who told me that
                  > HKD used to stroll through north end of Hagerstown in the evenings
                  with
                  > a rose clenched between his teeth so that everyone would recognize
                  that
                  > he was a gentleman! The person who knows the most about HKD and
                  has a
                  > number of his possessions is Doug Bast in Boonsboro. he owns the
                  > Boonsboro Museum of History on Main Street and some of the HKD
                  artifacts
                  > are there. You might want to get in touch with him for details of
                  his
                  > life.
                  >

                  > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                • barringer63
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                    Tom Clemens wrote:

                    > Hmmm, good question. Doug has his war-time diary, but does not
                    share
                    > it. I wouldn't either, but it would be neat to see a bio of him.
                    > Enough people had exposed the tall tales in his book to warrant a
                    > revision of him in the war.

                    Well, if someone is on this group is contemplating such a task this
                    is available at Perkins Library, Duke University, Durham, NC

                    Teej

                    Description 32 items.
                    History notes Confederate soldier.
                    Summary Civil War letters from Henry Kyd Douglas to Helen Macomb
                    Boteler describing in detail military movements and camp life,
                    including the battles of Cross Keys, 1862; Port Republic, 1862; and
                    Fredericksburg, 1862, all in Virginia. Several of the letters were
                    written from the Union military prison on Johnson's Island, near
                    Sandusky, Ohio.

                  • Joseph Pierro
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                      Probably a little bit of both. As others have already stated, there are some manuscripts out there for researchers to use, but I'm not sure there's enough material regarding his life (as opposed to what he witnessed--or claimed to have witnessed) to support a full-length treatment. It would probably turn into an annotated version of "I Rode with Stonewall," with the author confirming or refuting various anecdotes.

                      I'd be surprised if someone hasn't tackled already him in a journal article at some point, though. I KNOW I've seen biographical pieces in the CW mags over the years.

                      --jake

                      I've always found it interesting that no one has written a biography
                      of HKD. Are there insufficient materials about him to justify a book
                      or is it something else other than lack of interest of a writer?

                      Larry F.

                      Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe .

                    • david lutton
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                        The two stories concerning HKD that I offen wonder about if true incidents or otherwise were:
                        1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to impress a lady friend.
                        2. He is said to have assisted John Brown when his wagon was stuck in the Potomac below his family homestead I guess in 1859?

                        Are these true accounts or fiction?

                        When we stay over in Shepherdstown, we usually stay at the Clarion Motel, and as I pass HKD's graveyard my mind often turns to this very interesting character.

                        David Lutton
                        Hollidaysburg Pa

                        David Lutton
                        Hollidaysburg Pa

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                          I think this was in Washington DC.

                          Stephen

                          On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, at 06:31 PM, david lutton wrote:

                          > 1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of
                          > himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to
                          > impress a lady friend.
                        • Joseph Pierro
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                            I hope someone someday does a detailed study of HDK's memoir in its entirety. The conventional wisdom is that the entire thing is a pack of lies. John Gordon's memoirs have the same rep in many circles, but I found when I've examined portions of it that Gordon tended to be telling the truth -- in the essentials. Too many people throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, there is a good deal of exaggerating (as is true of 99% of memoirs) but like so much else else, if you read it with a critical eye it can be a valuable source.

                            I wonder if a comprehensive examination of I Rode with Stonewall wouldn't conclude the same thing.

                            --jake

                            The two stories concerning HKD that I offen wonder about if true incidents or otherwise were:
                            1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to impress a lady friend.
                            2. He is said to have assisted John Brown when his wagon was stuck in the Potomac below his family homestead I guess in 1859?

                            Are these true accounts or fiction?

                            When we stay over in Shepherdstown, we usually stay at the Clarion Motel, and as I pass HKD's graveyard my mind often turns to this very interesting character.

                            David Lutton
                            Hollidaysburg Pa

                            Visit Your Group
                            Y! Entertainment
                            World of Star Wars
                            Rediscover the force.
                            Explore now.
                            Yahoo! News
                            Kevin Sites
                            Get coverage of
                            world crises.
                            Cat Zone
                            on Yahoo! Groups
                            Join a Group
                            all about cats..

                          • barringer63
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                              Stephen Recker wrote:

                              > I think this was in Washington DC.

                              In Douglas' obit in the N.Y. Times, the reporter wrote,"After the
                              war Gen. Douglas was arrested for having his photograph taken in
                              uniform and put in close confinement at Martinsburg, West Va. He was
                              sentenced to Fort Delaware for three months and on the way was taken
                              to Washington and confined in the penitentiary with Mrs. Surratt and
                              others on suspicion that he knew something about the assassination of
                              President Lincoln. He was soon released, the charge being unfounded,
                              and after serving out his sentence, was released in September, 1865,
                              and has since practiced law in Virginia and Maryland, serving as
                              Attorney General of Maryland and Judge of the Fifth Judicial
                              Circuit." The article also says that Douglas was suffering
                              from "mental trouble" at the time of his death.

                              Regards,
                              Teej

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                                He also was active and commanded, I think, the MD Nat'l. Guard. Or was
                                he the JAG for it?

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                                  He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

                                  Stephen

                                  Nov 3, 1888 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
                                  audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
                                  spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
                                  flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
                                  him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
                                  managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
                                  gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
                                  act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
                                  what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
                                  although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
                                  with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
                                  Remained in our town until Sunday noon.
                                • barringer63
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
                                    Stephen Recker wrote:

                                    > He sounds like quite the ladie's man.

                                    Indeed. According to the obit I posted, there was a rumor going
                                    around in the late 1880s, early 1890s that Douglas was engaged to Nllie
                                    Grant Sartoris, yep, THAT Grant. The paper went on to say that neither
                                    Douglas nor Mrs. Sartoris bothered to deny the rumor.

                                    Teej
                                  • Joseph Pierro
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                                      According to his entry in More Generals in Gray, he served as Maryland's AG for four years, beginning in 1892.

                                      --jake

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                                        I'm speaking to the 60th GA reenactment group next week. Any of you guys got any tales of them at Antietam? My ggrandaddy called them "The Paulding (County) Rifles."

                                      • richard@rcroker.com
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                                          Heck Jake -- that's true of the OR. I followed up some of Gordon's stories when writing To Make Men Free, and the father/son episode he talked about seems to be authentic. The words ("My son is gone, and I am soon to follow, but it is okay") may be an elaborate memory, but the Johnson's both died in the Lane. FYI of the nit pickers among you -- the preceeding quotation is from my own memory. If you insist I'll look it up, but please don't insist.

                                          On Tuesday, November 20, 2007, at 06:31 PM, david lutton wrote:

                                          > 1. He was arrested in Shepherdstown while trying to get a photo of
                                          > himself in his confederate uniform. If my memory is correct...to
                                          > impress a lady friend.

                                        • James W. Durney
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                                            Professor Clemens, is it possible to get a copy of the artical you
                                            wrote on Burnside's Bridge? We want to debate the subject at one of
                                            our Round Table meetings.

                                            Thank you

                                            James Durney