Re: [TalkAntietam] Mini-muster on November 23

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007

      We will certainly post final agenda as the date gets closer.
      I'd expect we'll meet at VC early, perhaps 8 AM.
      As the days are getting shorter, we'll start early to make the most of the daylight.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 9, 2007
        Dear Tom,

        Thanks. Please keep me posted.

        > We will certainly post final agenda as the date gets closer.
        > I'd expect we'll meet at VC early, perhaps 8 AM.
        > As the days are getting shorter, we'll start early to make the
        > most of the daylight.
        >
        > Tom Shay

      • Tom Shay
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2007
          The Black Friday muster at Antietam is still on schedule. If you plan to attend this FREE event, please advise me. Also note how early you can reach the field.

          If you wish to form a carpool at the Gettysburg VC, please let me know. We can head south to Frederick and cross South Mtn while discussing the campaign. Of course this means we'll need to meet at Gettysburg very early (perhaps 6:30 AM).

          We're still finalizing an agenda, but be assured we'll offer plenty of stomping and discussion as we walk the battlefield.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 18, 2007
            I've got half-dozen members of MHO online group coming.

            From TalkAntietam, I got confirmations from Ron Dickey & Brian Richardson.

            Anyone wishing to carpool at Gettysburg VC.... can we there meet at 7 AM? Given that Antietam is 75+ minutes from Gettysburg, this would put us at Antietam for 8:15 AM or later.

            Itinerary as of now:

            8:30 AM - Meet at Antietam VC.

            TOUR #1 - "Prelude to Antietam" by Stephen Recker. We walk to rear of VC and review Lee's strategy and movements before the onset of the battle.

            TOUR #2: "Sedgwick's Attack" by Tom Shay. We'll walk north from VC to Texas monument, then head west thru West Woods and up Hauser Ridge. Return to VC via new West Woods trail.

            TOUR #3: "Sunken Road" by Tom Shay. Meet at Bloody Lane. Overview of attack by French's Divsion. In-depth battlewalk of Irish Brigade's assault.

            TOUR #4: "O.T. Reilly in Sharpsburg" by Stephen Recker. Meet in downtown Sharpsburg for walk of various sites affiliated with Antietam's first guide. We'll work in a lunch break during this tour.

            TOUR #5: XI Corps: Meet at Burnside Bridge overlook. Tom and Stephen will walk the ground east and west of the creek. With two new trails (one one east side and one on west side of the creek), this may actually be new ground for many of you.

            Tom Shay._,___

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 18, 2007
              Dear Tom,

              If you go Rte 15 South through Emmitsburg and then to Frederick
              and then get off Rte 15 onto Rte 40 and then Alt 40 to Boonsboro
              and then 64 to Sharpsburg and up to the VC, you can be there in
              about an hour.....

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 18, 2007
                We may join you sometime during the day, as we walk Bomber over there on a regular basis. We have Steve's cell # and will locate you all if need be.
                Tom Clemens

                >>> "Tom Shay" <RoteBaron@...> 11/18/07 6:01 PM >>>
                I've got half-dozen members of MHO online group coming.

                From TalkAntietam, I got confirmations from Ron Dickey & Brian Richardson.

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 21, 2007
                  We've got a decent group assembled for our Black Friday muster.
                  I'll have an SUV to accomodate about 6 other people around the park.
                  Here is latest itinerary:

                  7:00 AM - Those who wish to carpool can meet at Gettysburg VC. You must advise me if meeting us there.
                  8:30 AM - Meet at Antietam VC.
                  TOUR #1: "Prelude to Antietam" - Stephen Recker willl review Lee's strategy & movements prior to the battle.
                  TOUR #2: "Sedgwick's Attack" - Tom Shay will lead tour of Sedgwick's attack into West Woods.
                  TOUR #3: "Sunken Road" - Tom Shay will lead tour of Irish Brigade's assault on Bloody Lane.
                  TOUR #4: "O.T. Reilly in Sharpsburg" - Stephen Recker will begin at VC at 12:30 PM for tour of various sites affiliated with Antietam's first guide. We'll head into town for remainder of tour and work in a lunch break.
                  TOUR #5: XI Corps - Tom and Stephen will provide tour of Burnside's attacks east and west of the creek.