Re: Carman update

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
      I've only found one source on line--Morningside--at $250!! Poor me.

      > Larry,
      >
      > Sorry. All gone. No more.
      >
      > Stephen
      >
      > On Monday, October 29, 2007, at 12:38 PM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:
      >
      > > Sorry I didn't know you had a set for sale--did you put them on
      eBay?
      > > If "yes," under what category? Do you have another set for sale?

    • Brian Richardson
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
        There seems to be no copyright info in the documentation that
        accompanies the map CD sold in the bookstore, but the maps themselves
        have a 1904 date.

        Brian Richardson

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
        <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

        > Yes, the LoC version is a bit odd. There are TWO separate scans of
        the Atlas on the irwebsite, but they're BOTH of the first (1904)
        edition of the Atlas. Why they digitized the same edition twice--
        instead of digitizing one set of each edition--is beyond me

        > How substantive are the changes? That's hard to quantify--but
        Carman and co. felt that enough alterations had been made to justify
        reissuing the entire Atlas four years later. Make of that what you
        will. I can say that in some instances the position of a given
        regiment is substantively changed from one edition to the next, while
        in many others it's simply a matter of correcting a typo on one of
        the maps or adding in a label that was left off of a particular
        plate.

        > I don't have a copy of the Antietam bookstore CD, so I can't say
        which issue it is. Presumably, the original copyright info appears
        somewhere on the disc. If it's 1904, it's the first edition; if 1908,
        it's the 2d.

        > As for Desjardin's Gettysburg maps, the last time I was there
        (about a year or two ago) they were still for sale. If you're
        interested, I'd contact the Eastern National bookshop at the
        Gettysburg VC.

        Atlas
        > plates) you can't make out the individual regiments.
        > >
        > > Your idea for a non-profit to undertake the project is a good
        one.
        > About ten years ago, the Friends of the National Parks at
        Gettysburg
        > did something similar, and funded a project whereby Tom Desjardin
        did
        > three new topo and troop position maps of that battle (one for each
        > day).
        > >
        > > Admittedly, the Carman Atlas is 14 maps, not three, but then you
        > woulnd't have any cartographic costs involved. All you need to do
        is
        > repoduce an already extant set of maps.
        > >
        > > From what I understand, the real cost comes from producing the
        > image in a reproducable format. If the LoC ever creates high-res
        > scans of the 2d edition, printing copies from the scans--even on a
        > sturdy, laminate paper--would be very cheap.

        Books
        > > isn't with us anymore. He managed to find a way to make the full
        > set
        > > of Bachelder maps from Gettysburg available (all 28 maps in full
        > > color) for $250. Now, he just printed them flat and loose (they
        > > shipped them boxed), but it's the closest thing I've seen in
        recent
        > > years to a project like the Carman atlas.
        > > >
        > > > Meanwhile, I urge everyone to email the webmaster of the
        Library
        > of
        > > Congress's "American Memory" project and urge them to scan the
        > > second, REVISED volume of Carman's atlas into their giant digital
        > > database. It's not the PERFECT format, but it beats not having
        > access
        > > to them at all.
        > > >
        > > > Best,
        > > >
        > > > --j

        Cope
        > > maps
        > > > to supplement your book! If there is anything I can do to help,
        > pls
        > > > let me know.
        > > >
        > > > Larry
        > > >
        > > > --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, Joseph Pierro

        > > of
        > > > pharonic curse on this manuscript.

        > as
        > > > well be as the last casualty of Antietam. . . . :)

      • Joseph Pierro
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 30, 2007
          If the maps on that disc are dated 1904, then they're from the original edition of the Antietam Atlas.

          Given the fact that they are digitized on a CD, I'm willing to bet that the CD was made from the same set of scans that the LoC has now made available on its website.

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 17, 2007
            Jake,

            Could you contact me with a PM at killsour@... with a
            question re your pub date moved to January 2008?

            Thank you,

            Larry Freiheit

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 31, 2007
              Tom,

              I know a photographer who might be able to help. Do you have any
              specifics on the negatives you have? Are they the 1908 version?